Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:40 PM
  • B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Just days after being appointed to their new jobs, three members of the British Columbia government are off to California to promote the province as a hot spot for film production. 

Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

The trip to Los Angeles will include Chandra Herbert, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey and Nina Krieger, the Parliamentary secretary for arts and film. 

The B.C. government currently offers a 28 per cent production services credit to both domestic and foreign film and TV producers, and Premier David Eby pledged to increase the credits to 36 per cent during his election campaign. 

Eby reassured the film industry following his re-election last month, saying the government "is in your corner," and it  commits to ensuring that the B.C. film sector stays competitive. 

A joint statement from the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Tourism says the timing of the government visit is crucial since it will offer studio decision-makers the information they need for production planning.

B.C. has been a hot spot for U.S. film and television production, such as season two of the popular post-apocalyptic TV series "The Last of Us," which was filmed in dozens of locations across the province. 

The government says the film industry is supporting more than 47,500 jobs and brought $3.3 billion to B.C.'s total GDP in 2022. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey man arrested in carjacking

Surrey man arrested in carjacking
R-C-M-P say a woman called Friday afternoon to report that a man had assaulted her and taken her vehicle, which was then involved in a three-vehicle crash.

Surrey man arrested in carjacking

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing
Mounties in Squamish say three bodies have been recovered from the area of Garibaldi Provincial Park where three mountaineers went missing last month.

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.
She is the first foreign minister to be invited to meet with David Lammy in London since his recent appointment as U.K. secretary of state for foreign, Commonwealth and development affairs.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays
Mounties in British Columbia's West Kootenay region say four people are dead after a crash that closed a stretch of Highway 6 for 11 hours. Slocan Lake RCMP say it happened south of Nakusp at about 5:50 p.m. on Friday, when a passenger truck crossed the centre line while a semi-trailer was approaching in the oncoming lane.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage
A doctor shortage has forced a temporary closure at the Nicola Valley Hospital in Merritt. Interior Health says emergency care at the hospital will be closed for 48 hours.

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed after a "suspicious death" in Hope. It says Mounties responded to a police report of a dead person on Friday and arrived to find the body of a 46-year-old man, who appeared to be the victim of a homicide.

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope