Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:40 PM
  • B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Just days after being appointed to their new jobs, three members of the British Columbia government are off to California to promote the province as a hot spot for film production. 

Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

The trip to Los Angeles will include Chandra Herbert, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey and Nina Krieger, the Parliamentary secretary for arts and film. 

The B.C. government currently offers a 28 per cent production services credit to both domestic and foreign film and TV producers, and Premier David Eby pledged to increase the credits to 36 per cent during his election campaign. 

Eby reassured the film industry following his re-election last month, saying the government "is in your corner," and it  commits to ensuring that the B.C. film sector stays competitive. 

A joint statement from the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Tourism says the timing of the government visit is crucial since it will offer studio decision-makers the information they need for production planning.

B.C. has been a hot spot for U.S. film and television production, such as season two of the popular post-apocalyptic TV series "The Last of Us," which was filmed in dozens of locations across the province. 

The government says the film industry is supporting more than 47,500 jobs and brought $3.3 billion to B.C.'s total GDP in 2022. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Richmond RCMP emphasize the importance of responsible driving

Richmond RCMP emphasize the importance of responsible driving
Richmond R-C-M-P are emphasizing the importance of responsible driving during the summer months. It's part of their summer campaign to combat impaired driving to reduce the number of incidents and safeguard all road users.

Richmond RCMP emphasize the importance of responsible driving

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court
British Columbia's government has appointed two new Provincial Court judges to support consistent and timely access to justice. Parveen Nijjar and Paul Pearson have both been appointed and are set to start on July 25th.

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again
Liberal MP Ken McDonald, who opposed his party over the federal carbon price, says he won’t run in the next federal election. McDonald has represented the riding of Avalon in Newfoundland and Labrador since 2015, when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberals won a majority government.

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74
Former CBC radio journalist and personality Rick Cluff, who was the longtime host of The Early Edition morning show in Vancouver, has died at the age of 74. The public broadcaster says Cluff died shortly after being diagnosed with cancer.

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content
In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver
Two individuals involved in a series of complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have pleaded guilty and were sentenced for their roles. Surrey Mounties say 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu and 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan stole goods such as high-end fragrances and athletic clothing valued at 53-thousand dollars over a six-month span.

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver