Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:40 PM
  • B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Just days after being appointed to their new jobs, three members of the British Columbia government are off to California to promote the province as a hot spot for film production. 

Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

The trip to Los Angeles will include Chandra Herbert, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey and Nina Krieger, the Parliamentary secretary for arts and film. 

The B.C. government currently offers a 28 per cent production services credit to both domestic and foreign film and TV producers, and Premier David Eby pledged to increase the credits to 36 per cent during his election campaign. 

Eby reassured the film industry following his re-election last month, saying the government "is in your corner," and it  commits to ensuring that the B.C. film sector stays competitive. 

A joint statement from the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Tourism says the timing of the government visit is crucial since it will offer studio decision-makers the information they need for production planning.

B.C. has been a hot spot for U.S. film and television production, such as season two of the popular post-apocalyptic TV series "The Last of Us," which was filmed in dozens of locations across the province. 

The government says the film industry is supporting more than 47,500 jobs and brought $3.3 billion to B.C.'s total GDP in 2022. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.
Police in West Vancouver say two people are dead after a head-on crash along Highway 1 that blocked access to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal. They say a vehicle travelling east in the westbound lanes near Westport Road caused the collision at about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday night.

Head-on crash kills two, shuts highway, blocks ferry terminal in West Vancouver, B.C.

2 vehicle crash in Richmond

2 vehicle crash in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say they're investigating a two-vehicle crash that injured two pedestrians. They say it happened on Sunday when a Ford Edge S-U-V turned into a Toyota Tundra on Number 4 Road, then careened onto the sidewalk where three people were standing. 

2 vehicle crash in Richmond

Lawyers looking for thousands of families owed money by Veterans Affairs

Lawyers looking for thousands of families owed money by Veterans Affairs
Lawyers are trying to get in touch with hundreds of thousands of people who are owed money through a class-action lawsuit against Veterans Affairs. The suit was launched after the Office of the Veterans Ombud found the government had been improperly calculating the disability benefits and pensions of its clients starting in 2003.

Lawyers looking for thousands of families owed money by Veterans Affairs

Eleven-year-old boy drowns after inflated tube flips in B.C. lake

Eleven-year-old boy drowns after inflated tube flips in B.C. lake
RCMP say an 11-year-old boy has drowned in Wasa Lake, north of Cranbrook in southeastern B.C. Police say the boy was out with two other children on Sunday on an inflated tube when it flipped in high winds and rough water. 

Eleven-year-old boy drowns after inflated tube flips in B.C. lake

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported
An explosion Wednesday reduced a Winnipeg house to rubble and significantly damaged nearby homes. Emergency crews were called to the bungalow on Camrose Bay in the Transcona neighbourhood shortly after 11 a.m.

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous
A 37-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a 66-year-old woman in Sicamous.  R-C-M-P say paramedics tried to save Jo Ann Jackson last week when she was found unresponsive in the driveway of a mobile home park, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous