Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Nov, 2022 04:28 PM
  • B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

VICTORIA - A highway that washed out in more than two dozen places has reopened to the public a year after a series of atmospheric rivers stalled over southern British Columbia.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says it has taken crews considerable work to restore Highway 8, a scenic corridor that snakes along the Nicola River between Merritt and Spences Bridge.

When the heavy rains pummelled B.C., the Nicola River surged and changed course while whole sections of the highway, and some homes, fell into the waterway.

Residents along the highway, including members of the Nooaitch, Shackan and Cook's Ferry First Nations communities, were isolated or evacuated to other communities, many of which were also dealing with the consequences of the flooding.

The B.C. government says the current repairs are temporary and work is ongoing to install roadside barriers, place large rocks to stabilize the road embankments and process rock for permanent repairs.

There were 25 washout sites along the highway and repairs include temporary bridges spanning 73 metres and 85 metres.

"From the first day of the atmospheric river, people have gone above and beyond to help us to reach this important milestone," Fleming says in a statement.

"We all owe a huge debt of gratitude for the impressive work that crews and staff have done to reconnect the people and communities along Highway 8."

The highway has previously served as a detour option during closures of the Trans-Canada or Coquihalla highways. However, the government says that is not yet a suitable option while Highway 8 remains a construction zone.

Work also continues to restore fish habitat, and the government says more than 5,000 fish were salvaged from isolated channels and returned to the Nicola River.

The flooding last November destroyed transportation links across British Columbia, at one point cutting off Metro Vancouver from the rest of Canada.

The Coquihalla Highway, a vital artery linking B.C.'s Lower Mainland with the rest of the province, was reopened to the public in January thanks to temporary repairs.

The floods also caused significant damage to British Columbia's agricultural land in Abbotsford, where more than 1,100 farms were under evacuation order or alert at the peak of the disaster. About 630,000 chickens, 420 cattle and 12,000 hogs died in the floods.

On Monday, Agriculture Minister Lana Popham said most dairy and poultry farmers are "back to normal" operations and the majority of annual field crops were planted, but it's been an emotional year, and many are crossing their fingers for good weather this season.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. considers fourth COVID-19 dose: minister

B.C. considers fourth COVID-19 dose: minister
Health Minister Adrian Dix says the province is preparing to provide an update this Tuesday on potentially making a fourth COVID-19 dose available to vulnerable people in British Columbia. The minister says discussions are underway about providing a second booster shot to clinically vulnerable people such as those in long-term care.

B.C. considers fourth COVID-19 dose: minister

249 COVID19 cases for Thursday

249 COVID19 cases for Thursday
There are 281 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 42 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, two new deaths (Fraser Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 2,998.

249 COVID19 cases for Thursday

2 youths arrested for an alleged assault involving a machete in Coquitlam

2 youths arrested for an alleged assault involving a machete in Coquitlam
On March 10, 2022, just after 6 p.m., a man was chased into the Burquitlam SkyTrain Station by two suspects, one of whom was seen carrying a large machete. The man attempted to use a pylon to protect himself, while one of the suspects allegedly swung the machete in his direction several times. The machete eventually made contact with the side of the victim’s head.

2 youths arrested for an alleged assault involving a machete in Coquitlam

Federal ministers highlight Russia war crime probe

Federal ministers highlight Russia war crime probe
Harjit Sajjan offered that view as a half dozen extra RCMP investigators head to The Hague to assist in the International Criminal Court investigation of alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity by Russia in its invasion of Ukraine.

Federal ministers highlight Russia war crime probe

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips
NATO estimated last June that Canada would spend about 1.39 per cent of its national GDP on defence in 2021. Defence Minister Anita Anand says this morning that the government has committed to increase defence spending, noting a federal budget will be presented next week.

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips

NACI fourth dose information expected soon

NACI fourth dose information expected soon
A spokeswoman for the Public Health Agency of Canada said Thursday that the agency expects to publish NACI's advice on fourth doses for "elderly populations at higher risk of severe disease" in the coming days.

NACI fourth dose information expected soon