Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Nov, 2022 04:28 PM
  • B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

VICTORIA - A highway that washed out in more than two dozen places has reopened to the public a year after a series of atmospheric rivers stalled over southern British Columbia.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says it has taken crews considerable work to restore Highway 8, a scenic corridor that snakes along the Nicola River between Merritt and Spences Bridge.

When the heavy rains pummelled B.C., the Nicola River surged and changed course while whole sections of the highway, and some homes, fell into the waterway.

Residents along the highway, including members of the Nooaitch, Shackan and Cook's Ferry First Nations communities, were isolated or evacuated to other communities, many of which were also dealing with the consequences of the flooding.

The B.C. government says the current repairs are temporary and work is ongoing to install roadside barriers, place large rocks to stabilize the road embankments and process rock for permanent repairs.

There were 25 washout sites along the highway and repairs include temporary bridges spanning 73 metres and 85 metres.

"From the first day of the atmospheric river, people have gone above and beyond to help us to reach this important milestone," Fleming says in a statement.

"We all owe a huge debt of gratitude for the impressive work that crews and staff have done to reconnect the people and communities along Highway 8."

The highway has previously served as a detour option during closures of the Trans-Canada or Coquihalla highways. However, the government says that is not yet a suitable option while Highway 8 remains a construction zone.

Work also continues to restore fish habitat, and the government says more than 5,000 fish were salvaged from isolated channels and returned to the Nicola River.

The flooding last November destroyed transportation links across British Columbia, at one point cutting off Metro Vancouver from the rest of Canada.

The Coquihalla Highway, a vital artery linking B.C.'s Lower Mainland with the rest of the province, was reopened to the public in January thanks to temporary repairs.

The floods also caused significant damage to British Columbia's agricultural land in Abbotsford, where more than 1,100 farms were under evacuation order or alert at the peak of the disaster. About 630,000 chickens, 420 cattle and 12,000 hogs died in the floods.

On Monday, Agriculture Minister Lana Popham said most dairy and poultry farmers are "back to normal" operations and the majority of annual field crops were planted, but it's been an emotional year, and many are crossing their fingers for good weather this season.

MORE National ARTICLES

Port of Vancouver up in 2021 despite challenges

Port of Vancouver up in 2021 despite challenges
The country's largest port says record container and foreign bulk volumes helped maintain cargo volumes despite trade challenges in a year in which the cruise season was cancelled due to COVID-19.

Port of Vancouver up in 2021 despite challenges

Road closure at 88th and 90th Ave on Scott Rd due to cyclist being hit

Road closure at 88th and 90th Ave on Scott Rd due to cyclist being hit
Be advised that 120 Street Northbound between 88 Avenue and 90 Avenue is closed to all traffic while officers investigate the cause of the collision.  The closure will remain in effect for an undetermined amount of time. 

Road closure at 88th and 90th Ave on Scott Rd due to cyclist being hit

Canadian troops ordered to stay out of Ukraine

Canadian troops ordered to stay out of Ukraine
Vice-chief of the defence staff Lt.-Gen. Frances Allen told the House of Commons defence committee on Wednesday that the order came from Gen. Wayne Eyre, chief of the defence staff and it applies to both full-time service members and part-time reservists.

Canadian troops ordered to stay out of Ukraine

Canada under the gun as NATO allies to present defence spending plans by June

Canada under the gun as NATO allies to present defence spending plans by June
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg revealed the new pledge at the end of an extraordinary meeting in Brussels, where leaders from across the alliance had gathered for the second time in a month to discuss Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Canada under the gun as NATO allies to present defence spending plans by June

Permanent fixes coming for Coquihalla in B.C.

Permanent fixes coming for Coquihalla in B.C.
A statement from the ministry says it has begun the process to select contractors to design and complete the repairs at three of the seven damaged bridges along the Coquihalla Highway.    

Permanent fixes coming for Coquihalla in B.C.

B.C. patients waiting too long for surgery: doctor

B.C. patients waiting too long for surgery: doctor
Health Minister Adrian Dix told a recent news conference that 99.8 per cent of patients whose surgery was postponed in the first wave of the pandemic have had it, and that's the case for 94.2 per cent of those who did not get their procedure in the second and third waves.

B.C. patients waiting too long for surgery: doctor