Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Nov, 2022 04:28 PM
  • B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

VICTORIA - A highway that washed out in more than two dozen places has reopened to the public a year after a series of atmospheric rivers stalled over southern British Columbia.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says it has taken crews considerable work to restore Highway 8, a scenic corridor that snakes along the Nicola River between Merritt and Spences Bridge.

When the heavy rains pummelled B.C., the Nicola River surged and changed course while whole sections of the highway, and some homes, fell into the waterway.

Residents along the highway, including members of the Nooaitch, Shackan and Cook's Ferry First Nations communities, were isolated or evacuated to other communities, many of which were also dealing with the consequences of the flooding.

The B.C. government says the current repairs are temporary and work is ongoing to install roadside barriers, place large rocks to stabilize the road embankments and process rock for permanent repairs.

There were 25 washout sites along the highway and repairs include temporary bridges spanning 73 metres and 85 metres.

"From the first day of the atmospheric river, people have gone above and beyond to help us to reach this important milestone," Fleming says in a statement.

"We all owe a huge debt of gratitude for the impressive work that crews and staff have done to reconnect the people and communities along Highway 8."

The highway has previously served as a detour option during closures of the Trans-Canada or Coquihalla highways. However, the government says that is not yet a suitable option while Highway 8 remains a construction zone.

Work also continues to restore fish habitat, and the government says more than 5,000 fish were salvaged from isolated channels and returned to the Nicola River.

The flooding last November destroyed transportation links across British Columbia, at one point cutting off Metro Vancouver from the rest of Canada.

The Coquihalla Highway, a vital artery linking B.C.'s Lower Mainland with the rest of the province, was reopened to the public in January thanks to temporary repairs.

The floods also caused significant damage to British Columbia's agricultural land in Abbotsford, where more than 1,100 farms were under evacuation order or alert at the peak of the disaster. About 630,000 chickens, 420 cattle and 12,000 hogs died in the floods.

On Monday, Agriculture Minister Lana Popham said most dairy and poultry farmers are "back to normal" operations and the majority of annual field crops were planted, but it's been an emotional year, and many are crossing their fingers for good weather this season.

MORE National ARTICLES

MPs told of confusion from crackdown on convoy

MPs told of confusion from crackdown on convoy
The government's use of the emergency powers in February included allowing financial institutions to freeze the accounts of those involved in the protests that occupied streets in downtown Ottawa and blocked key border crossings.    

MPs told of confusion from crackdown on convoy

Canada working on national flood insurance program

Canada working on national flood insurance program
On Monday, federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair finished a tour of B.C. communities that experienced devastating floods last November, including Abbotsford and Merritt, where some people still have not been able to move home.

Canada working on national flood insurance program

240 COVID19 cases for Thursday

240 COVID19 cases for Thursday
There are 298 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 49 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, seven new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,960.

240 COVID19 cases for Thursday

B.C. government outlines funds for homelessness

B.C. government outlines funds for homelessness
Several cabinet ministers gathered for a news conference to share details of $633 million first announced in Budget 2022 for supports over three years for people experiencing homelessness.

B.C. government outlines funds for homelessness

Charges approved after women allegedly sexually assaulted during treatments at Burnaby skincare clinic

Charges approved after women allegedly sexually assaulted during treatments at Burnaby skincare clinic
An investigation was launched in 2019 after a victim reported to police that she was sexually assaulted during treatment at a business operating as Fab Skin Care at 5481 Kingsway in Burnaby.    

Charges approved after women allegedly sexually assaulted during treatments at Burnaby skincare clinic

Three People Charged for Keeping an Illegal Gaming House

Three People Charged for Keeping an Illegal Gaming House
Evidence gathered indicated that the Vancouver residence was being rented for the purpose of setting up and operating an alleged illegal gaming establishment.

Three People Charged for Keeping an Illegal Gaming House