Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Nov, 2022 04:28 PM
  • B.C. highway reopens after ruinous 2021 floods

VICTORIA - A highway that washed out in more than two dozen places has reopened to the public a year after a series of atmospheric rivers stalled over southern British Columbia.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says it has taken crews considerable work to restore Highway 8, a scenic corridor that snakes along the Nicola River between Merritt and Spences Bridge.

When the heavy rains pummelled B.C., the Nicola River surged and changed course while whole sections of the highway, and some homes, fell into the waterway.

Residents along the highway, including members of the Nooaitch, Shackan and Cook's Ferry First Nations communities, were isolated or evacuated to other communities, many of which were also dealing with the consequences of the flooding.

The B.C. government says the current repairs are temporary and work is ongoing to install roadside barriers, place large rocks to stabilize the road embankments and process rock for permanent repairs.

There were 25 washout sites along the highway and repairs include temporary bridges spanning 73 metres and 85 metres.

"From the first day of the atmospheric river, people have gone above and beyond to help us to reach this important milestone," Fleming says in a statement.

"We all owe a huge debt of gratitude for the impressive work that crews and staff have done to reconnect the people and communities along Highway 8."

The highway has previously served as a detour option during closures of the Trans-Canada or Coquihalla highways. However, the government says that is not yet a suitable option while Highway 8 remains a construction zone.

Work also continues to restore fish habitat, and the government says more than 5,000 fish were salvaged from isolated channels and returned to the Nicola River.

The flooding last November destroyed transportation links across British Columbia, at one point cutting off Metro Vancouver from the rest of Canada.

The Coquihalla Highway, a vital artery linking B.C.'s Lower Mainland with the rest of the province, was reopened to the public in January thanks to temporary repairs.

The floods also caused significant damage to British Columbia's agricultural land in Abbotsford, where more than 1,100 farms were under evacuation order or alert at the peak of the disaster. About 630,000 chickens, 420 cattle and 12,000 hogs died in the floods.

On Monday, Agriculture Minister Lana Popham said most dairy and poultry farmers are "back to normal" operations and the majority of annual field crops were planted, but it's been an emotional year, and many are crossing their fingers for good weather this season.

MORE National ARTICLES

Repeal a ban on oil tankers off B-C's north coast if elected party leader: Pierre Poilievre

Repeal a ban on oil tankers off B-C's north coast if elected party leader: Pierre Poilievre
Poilievre also says he would bring in new laws to support the energy sector and protect the environment — and he promises the work will include consultation with First Nations. 

Repeal a ban on oil tankers off B-C's north coast if elected party leader: Pierre Poilievre

No relief at the pumps with gas hitting the $2 mark

No relief at the pumps with gas hitting the $2 mark
That's a jump of almost 20 cents per litre in barely one week and Dan McTeague with Canadians for Affordable Energy says the war in Ukraine is a key reason.    

No relief at the pumps with gas hitting the $2 mark

Trudeau heads to Europe to meet allies amid fallout from Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Trudeau heads to Europe to meet allies amid fallout from Russia's invasion of Ukraine
Trudeau will spend next week in meetings in London, Berlin, Riga, Latvia and Warsaw, Poland, saying he is joining partners to stand against Moscow’s aggression.

Trudeau heads to Europe to meet allies amid fallout from Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Charges laid against 26 year old for Surrey shooting

Charges laid against 26 year old for Surrey shooting
Surrey RCMP Serious Crime Unit took conduct of the investigation and identified a possible suspect early on. In March 2020, a search warrant was executed on the suspect’s residence. The suspect was arrested and later released while the investigation continued.

Charges laid against 26 year old for Surrey shooting

Allen Schoenborn man who killed his 3 children, granted unescorted leave

Allen Schoenborn man who killed his 3 children, granted unescorted leave
The lawyer for Allen Schoenborn has told the B-C review board during an annual hearing that his client has been on a "generally positive trajectory" since being granted day leave.

Allen Schoenborn man who killed his 3 children, granted unescorted leave

Crown has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt at the trial of former clerk

Crown has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt at the trial of former clerk
Lawyer Gavin Cameron continued his closing arguments for a second day in B-C Supreme Court. James was charged with fraud and breach of trust based on allegations of misspending.    

Crown has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt at the trial of former clerk