Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jun, 2023 05:04 PM
  • BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

The Crown utility in charge of generating and delivering electricity in British Columbia says the province is going to need enough new power to run 270,000 homes starting as early as 2028.

The forecast from BC Hydro comes as the company plans its first call in 15 years to find new large sources of electricity.

Premier David Eby told a news conference Thursday that the forecast that calls for the additional 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of renewable energy is three years earlier than previously estimated.

"We need to act now to meet this growing demand and to ensure we stay on track with our climate goals," he said.

BC Hydro says the company expects to launch a call for more power in the spring of 2024, so it can have new sources as early as 2028.

A previous independent power producers program in B.C. was "indefinitely suspended" in 2019.

Eby said the former standing offer program forced BC Hydro to often buy power from producers at a price that was much higher than the market rate, whether the utility needed it or not.

"This is a new process, a competitive process that will work with independent power producers to deliver the power that we actually need and that is cost competitive," he said.

A government statement says work will be done to design a call for power that includes a minimum First Nations ownership in the project. 

Consultation will also start with First Nations and the First Nations Energy and Mining Council on options for Indigenous economic participation requirements, the statement says.

Energy Minister Josie Osborne said the province is also promising $140 million for the B.C. Indigenous Clean Energy Initiative, which will support smaller Indigenous-led power projects that may otherwise not be competitive due to their size.

"These projects will generate jobs and economic opportunities that support Indigenous self determination and advanced reconciliation," she said.

BC Hydro is promising to acquire only 100-per-cent renewable electricity, including wind and solar.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

New B.C. premier pledges Downtown Eastside fix

New B.C. premier pledges Downtown Eastside fix
David Eby, who will be sworn in on Friday as B.C.'s 37th premier, said his government will take charge of restoring the low-income area, which is plagued by crime, addiction, homelessness and mental health trouble.  

New B.C. premier pledges Downtown Eastside fix

Female pedestrian struck after serious collision in Richmond

Female pedestrian struck after serious collision in Richmond
The driver of the white GMC Savana van involved in the collision remained at the scene and was cooperative with police.  The injured female pedestrian, a 57-year old Chinese national, received significant, life threatening injuries and remains in hospital at this time.  

Female pedestrian struck after serious collision in Richmond

Indigenous leaders praise outgoing B.C. premier

Indigenous leaders praise outgoing B.C. premier
Union president Grand Chief Stewart Phillip says passage of the B.C. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act in 2019 would not have been possible without Horgan's leadership.

Indigenous leaders praise outgoing B.C. premier

Richmond RCMP need the public's help in locating missing youth Aryan Prakash

Richmond RCMP need the public's help in locating missing youth Aryan Prakash
Aryan is described as a  South Asian youth male, 14 years old, 6 ft tall, weighing 135 lbs with black hair and black eyes.  He was last seen wearing a grey jacket and grey pants. 

Richmond RCMP need the public's help in locating missing youth Aryan Prakash

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims
The suspect was arrested shortly after noon near Hwy 1 on the Clearbook Rd exit in Abbotsford.  The two victims were transported by ambulance to a local area hospital. Both have non-life threatening injuries.

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie
Jongwon Ham appeared virtually in court on Wednesday after a significant delay wearing a red shirt, a beard and his black hair reached past his shoulders. Ham was ordered remanded until Nov. 24 while he worked on getting a lawyer. The 37-year-old has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of RCMP Const. Shaelyn Yang.

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie