Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jun, 2023 05:04 PM
  • BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

The Crown utility in charge of generating and delivering electricity in British Columbia says the province is going to need enough new power to run 270,000 homes starting as early as 2028.

The forecast from BC Hydro comes as the company plans its first call in 15 years to find new large sources of electricity.

Premier David Eby told a news conference Thursday that the forecast that calls for the additional 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of renewable energy is three years earlier than previously estimated.

"We need to act now to meet this growing demand and to ensure we stay on track with our climate goals," he said.

BC Hydro says the company expects to launch a call for more power in the spring of 2024, so it can have new sources as early as 2028.

A previous independent power producers program in B.C. was "indefinitely suspended" in 2019.

Eby said the former standing offer program forced BC Hydro to often buy power from producers at a price that was much higher than the market rate, whether the utility needed it or not.

"This is a new process, a competitive process that will work with independent power producers to deliver the power that we actually need and that is cost competitive," he said.

A government statement says work will be done to design a call for power that includes a minimum First Nations ownership in the project. 

Consultation will also start with First Nations and the First Nations Energy and Mining Council on options for Indigenous economic participation requirements, the statement says.

Energy Minister Josie Osborne said the province is also promising $140 million for the B.C. Indigenous Clean Energy Initiative, which will support smaller Indigenous-led power projects that may otherwise not be competitive due to their size.

"These projects will generate jobs and economic opportunities that support Indigenous self determination and advanced reconciliation," she said.

BC Hydro is promising to acquire only 100-per-cent renewable electricity, including wind and solar.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP calls for review of federal COVID-19 response

NDP calls for review of federal COVID-19 response
With the final federal public-health restrictions having been lifted in September, NDP health critic Don Davies said it's about time for the government to look back at whether appropriate actions were taken to manage the crisis. 

NDP calls for review of federal COVID-19 response

B.C. hails flood recovery but more disasters loom

B.C. hails flood recovery but more disasters loom
The record rains brought by an atmospheric river last November swamped southwest B.C., inundated farmland, washed out major highways and railways and forced thousands to flee. Five people died in what the Insurance Bureau of Canada ranks as B.C.'s most costly weather event, with insured losses of $675 million.  

B.C. hails flood recovery but more disasters loom

Surrey councillors mull future of municipal police

Surrey councillors mull future of municipal police
It presents two options, with the first stopping further spending on the SPS while a plan is submitted to the province for approval to end the integration and "ramp down" the municipal police agency.

Surrey councillors mull future of municipal police

86 year old female pedestrian dies of her injuries after a collision in East Vancouver

86 year old female pedestrian dies of her injuries after a collision in East Vancouver
The victim was walking in the south lane of East 2nd Avenue from Commercial Drive on November 1 at around 7:15 a.m. when she was hit by the driver of a Cadillac Escalade. She was taken to hospital where she died from her injuries.

86 year old female pedestrian dies of her injuries after a collision in East Vancouver

Vancouver resident Rajan Raj couldn’t hold back tears after his $500K Lotto Max win

Vancouver resident Rajan Raj couldn’t hold back tears after his $500K Lotto Max win
“I was in the same store where I bought the ticket,” recalled Raj, who shared a Maxmillions prize from the draw with another winner in Ontario.  “I checked a few tickets and they were small wins, then I checked the winning ticket and I was sweating.”

Vancouver resident Rajan Raj couldn’t hold back tears after his $500K Lotto Max win

Repair of B.C. dike to finish this month: minister

Repair of B.C. dike to finish this month: minister
Farnworth says the provincial government has dedicated $1.6 million to the Sumas dike project, as he gave an update on recovery progress ahead of the one-year anniversary of what he called "one of the most devastating weather events in the history of our province."

Repair of B.C. dike to finish this month: minister