Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau rips Hockey Canada over sex assault fund

Trudeau rips Hockey Canada over sex assault fund
Hockey Canada has been under intense scrutiny since May when news broke that the organization quietly settled a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleges she was assaulted by eight unnamed players, including members of the country's 2018 world junior team, following a gala in London, Ont., four years ago.

Trudeau rips Hockey Canada over sex assault fund

26 year old Toronto man, Pardeep Brar, shot inside a nightclub dies in hospital

26 year old Toronto man, Pardeep Brar,  shot inside a nightclub dies in hospital
There is no suspect information at this time. The victim has been identified as Pardeep Brar, 26, of Brampton. Any witnesses who were in the nightclub at the time of the shooting, or anyone with information or video of the shooting is asked to contact police

26 year old Toronto man, Pardeep Brar, shot inside a nightclub dies in hospital

Wildfires threaten western province

Wildfires threaten western province
Lytton was razed in a similar fire last year and many residents evacuated in 2021, still have yet to return home. The Manitoba Wildfire Service says heat and hot weather have caused 45 blazes in the province with the largest being east of Mathias Colomb Cree Nation.

Wildfires threaten western province

Random COVID-19 testing resumes at 4 airports

Random COVID-19 testing resumes at 4 airports
Deputy chief public health officer Dr. Howard Njoo has previously said random mandatory testing is an important part of Canada's strategy to detect new variants coming in to the country. Travellers who are not fully vaccinated must test on both the first and eighth days of their mandatory 14-day quarantine, unless exempt.

Random COVID-19 testing resumes at 4 airports

Vancouver Police investigation leads to charges in last week's Yaletown homicide, deemed a random stabbing

Vancouver Police investigation leads to charges in last week's Yaletown homicide, deemed a random stabbing
The VPD have released a photo of Justin Mohrmann, in the hopes that someone who saw him before the stabbing will come forward with more information. Police say Mohrmann was stabbed while walking near Smithe and Homer streets the morning of July 11.

Vancouver Police investigation leads to charges in last week's Yaletown homicide, deemed a random stabbing

3 young offenders enter guilty pleas in relation to a stabbing that occurred outside a party in Burnaby last October

3 young offenders enter guilty pleas in relation to a stabbing that occurred outside a party in Burnaby last October
In early July, two of the three youth suspects received sentencing which included charges for aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. The third offender has entered a guilty plea but is awaiting sentencing.  

3 young offenders enter guilty pleas in relation to a stabbing that occurred outside a party in Burnaby last October