Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack
Multiple witnesses flagged down police on June 19 around 7 p.m., after a 49-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were approached from behind by the suspect and allegedly slashed while loading their luggage into a taxi near Main and East Hastings streets.

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood
Environment Canada is reporting about six millimetres of rain fell at the Prince George airport Tuesday, but doesn't mention the localized, intense thunderstorm that deluged the city's downtown core, flooding several streets.

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader
Horgan announced last week that he'll resign as leader in the fall after the party holds a leadership convention, saying his second bout with cancer left him with little energy for the job. Kahlon says he's throwing his support for the new leader behind Attorney General David Eby, who has yet to announce if he is running.

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three
Police say witnesses report a black sedan crossed into the path of an oncoming westbound SUV, hitting it head on. The RCMP say the crash killed a 51-year-old Sorrento man, a 67-year old woman and a 60-year-old man, both from Blind Bay.

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout
Twenty-two-year-old Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie of Duncan, B.C., were killed by police in a shootout that left six officers injured outside a Bank of Montreal branch in Saanich on June 28.    

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout

Multi-vehicle collision on 176 Street in Surrey leads to road closure

Multi-vehicle collision on 176 Street in Surrey leads to road closure
Southbound lanes of 176 Street are closed from 88 Avenue to 96 Avenue. The investigation is in the early stages and it is unknown how long the road closure will remain in effect.

Multi-vehicle collision on 176 Street in Surrey leads to road closure