Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver school evacuated after weapon report

Vancouver school evacuated after weapon report
The Vancouver Police Department issued a statement on Twitter Thursday, saying Killarney Secondary, which has about 2,000 pupils, was put on lockdown as the Emergency Response Team conducted a room-by-room search.

Vancouver school evacuated after weapon report

Dental program could cost nearly double: PBO

Dental program could cost nearly double: PBO
The Liberals promised to provide coverage by the end of the year for children living in a household with an income of less than $90,000 and expanding next year it to include seniors and persons living with a disability.

Dental program could cost nearly double: PBO

Telus buying LifeWorks in deal valued at $2.9B

Telus buying LifeWorks in deal valued at $2.9B
LifeWorks, formerly known as Morneau Shepell, helps companies with employee and family assistance plans, absence management, pension and benefits administration and retirement planning.

Telus buying LifeWorks in deal valued at $2.9B

Nearly two dozen students and staff contaminated by bear spray at East Vancouver high school.

Nearly two dozen students and staff contaminated by bear spray at East Vancouver high school.
Investigators believe two teenaged suspects, who do not attend Killarney, entered the school just after 9 a.m. and attempted to assault a male student. The suspects deployed bear spray then fled in a vehicle.    

Nearly two dozen students and staff contaminated by bear spray at East Vancouver high school.

Cost of B.C. flooding last year leaps to $675M

Cost of B.C. flooding last year leaps to $675M
The previous estimate was $515 million in losses, but the bureau says in a statement that much of the increase is due to business claims in places where commercial insurance is more available.    

Cost of B.C. flooding last year leaps to $675M

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair
Sims made it official Wednesday at an event with the newly formed municipal party Surrey Forward and the party's four declared council candidates, Ramon Bandong, Jim Bennett, June Liu and Theresa Pidcock.    

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair