Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. issues certificate for contentious Roberts Bank terminal expansion project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2023 09:46 AM
  • B.C. issues certificate for contentious Roberts Bank terminal expansion project

The British Columbia government has issued an environmental assessment certificate for the contentious container port expansion project at Roberts Bank, saying the province "could not prohibit the project from going forward."

In a written statement, the government says the three-berth marine container terminal in Delta, B.C., south of Vancouver, rests almost entirely on federal land.

With the project gaining approval from the federal government in April, the province says it has decided to issue the certificate with requirements to safeguard provincial interests.

The government has set out 16 conditions to offset adverse effects the expansion will have on the area, including a wetland management plan, a wildlife management plan and a greenhouse-gas reduction plan for emissions. 

The province says it is aware that two parties are asking for a judicial review of the federal decision to approve the expansion, but B.C.'s ministers decided to issue the certificate to make sure the project doesn't go forward without addressing their concerns.

The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, which proposed the project, says the expansion is needed to prevent a capacity bottleneck at the Canada Pacific Gateway, the country's most important trade corridor with more than $275 billion in trade passing through each year.

Five environmental groups launched a combined legal challenge in May against the expansion plan, saying the project would disrupt "critical habitat" for the roughly 70 endangered southern resident killer whales that are in the waters near the port. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure
Peace Arch Provincial Park, the nine-hectare park that straddles the B.C.-Washington state border south of Vancouver, reopened Monday after being closed more than two years ago amid pandemic-related border closures.

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open
Shaw's ownership of Freedom Mobile has widely been seen as the main obstacle to the deal's approval, and Montreal-based Videotron earlier this year agreed to buy it for $2.85 billion. But Champagne said before he would approve the Videotron deal, he requires additional concessions.  

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence
The central bank is expected to raise its key interest rate by half or three quarters of a percentage point on Wednesday in an effort to clamp down on decades-high inflation, making it the sixth consecutive rate hike this year.

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings
On March 19, 2021, Richmond RCMP officers responded to the 22000-block of Rathburn Drive to assist with a structure fire. The deceased were identified as brothers, Chaten Dhindsa, 25 and Joban Dhindsa, 23, both of Richmond. The injuries sustained by the Dhindsa brothers were consistent with a homicide. 

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom
Some restaurants and bars are starting to book holiday parties, both corporate and personal, but it remains to be seen whether bookings will return to pre-pandemic levels,  There are also fears that the winter could bring a wave of cancellations, after last year’s holiday season saw COVID-19 cases skyrocket, and many establishments chose to close their doors for New Year’s Eve.

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud
The PBO recently estimated that the dental benefit will cost $703 million, while the rental support will cost up to $940 million. The dental benefit is meant to be an interim measure while the government works on a more complete dental-care program.

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud