Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. issues certificate for contentious Roberts Bank terminal expansion project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2023 09:46 AM
  • B.C. issues certificate for contentious Roberts Bank terminal expansion project

The British Columbia government has issued an environmental assessment certificate for the contentious container port expansion project at Roberts Bank, saying the province "could not prohibit the project from going forward."

In a written statement, the government says the three-berth marine container terminal in Delta, B.C., south of Vancouver, rests almost entirely on federal land.

With the project gaining approval from the federal government in April, the province says it has decided to issue the certificate with requirements to safeguard provincial interests.

The government has set out 16 conditions to offset adverse effects the expansion will have on the area, including a wetland management plan, a wildlife management plan and a greenhouse-gas reduction plan for emissions. 

The province says it is aware that two parties are asking for a judicial review of the federal decision to approve the expansion, but B.C.'s ministers decided to issue the certificate to make sure the project doesn't go forward without addressing their concerns.

The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, which proposed the project, says the expansion is needed to prevent a capacity bottleneck at the Canada Pacific Gateway, the country's most important trade corridor with more than $275 billion in trade passing through each year.

Five environmental groups launched a combined legal challenge in May against the expansion plan, saying the project would disrupt "critical habitat" for the roughly 70 endangered southern resident killer whales that are in the waters near the port. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday
On August 28th, just before 7:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a reported that a pedestrian, who had been crossing the street in a marked crosswalk, had been struck by a vehicle in the 7500-block of 140 Street. 

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home
IHIT has identified the victim as Troy Michael Regnier, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP arrested three suspects at the scene, who were believed to have been known to the victim, though at this time no charges have been laid.

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan
The guidelines released Thursday encourage pupils and others to get vaccinated and to stay home when they are sick, while masking remains optional and is described as being a "personal or family choice."  

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide
John Frederick Field, 60, received statutory release from Kent Institution on Thursday, but left his Vancouver halfway house around 7:30 p.m. and has not been seen or heard from since.His current whereabouts are unknown, and he is considered a significant risk to the public.

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby
Charges have been approved against a 59-year-old man in relation to an Indecent Act that occurred on Lougheed Highway in North Burnaby earlier this year. Burnaby RCMP’s High Risk Offender Unit took conduct of the investigation with assistance from other plainclothes units within the detachment.

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby