Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump
A former United States ambassador to Canada is sounding the alarm that a second Donald Trump presidency would cause chaos for Canadians as he urged Americans abroad that their votes could prove crucial in the presidential election. Bruce Heyman, who served as ambassador from 2014 to 2017, gave Canada a “tsunami warning,” saying if Trump takes the White House, Canada is at great risk.  

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers
Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage. A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver
A North Vancouver man has been sentenced to three years in prison after stealing close to one-million dollars U-S from investors. The B-C Securities Commission says Ward Derek Jensen was sentenced in provincial court after pleading guilty to theft over five-thousand dollars.

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver

Weather and luck help B.C. wildfire situation, but drought and risks persist

Weather and luck help B.C. wildfire situation, but drought and risks persist
Though the wildfire season in B.C. this year has been less intense than last year's record destruction, drought conditions persist in many regions and the situation could worsen, Emergency Minister Bowinn Ma has warned. More than 350 wildfires are burning across B.C., 18 properties have been ordered evacuated and 1,600 properties are on evacuation alert, meaning residents must be ready to leave at short notice.

Weather and luck help B.C. wildfire situation, but drought and risks persist

Rail strike would halt B.C.'s West Coast Express commuter train, says TransLink

Rail strike would halt B.C.'s West Coast Express commuter train, says TransLink
The operator of British Columbia's commuter train that shuttles thousands of people across the Lower Mainland says it won't be able to run if a strike halts Canada's two biggest railways this week. Metro Vancouver transport provider TransLink says the West Coast Express operates on rail owned by Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. and can't run without that company's dispatchers and railworkers.

Rail strike would halt B.C.'s West Coast Express commuter train, says TransLink

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen says Canada will provide $5.7 million for Ukrainians to meet their basic needs. Ottawa says it's maintaining solidarity with Ukraine two-and-a-half years into Russia's full-scale invasion as Hussen visits Kyiv.

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children