Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada
The immigration minister announced a cap in January as a way to quell the rapid increase in the number of international students, citing pressure on housing, health care and other services. The new policy limits the number of student visa applications the government would accept into processing, and that was expected to result in a 35 per cent drop in the number of students in 2024 compared to last year.

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada

Truck crash in ditch turns fatal

Truck crash in ditch turns fatal
A man has died in Abbotsford after the truck he was driving crashed into a ditch. Police say they were notified of the crash this morning and found a 42-year-old male driver was the sole occupant of the pickup.

Truck crash in ditch turns fatal

Increase for towing fees in September

Increase for towing fees in September
Fees for towing and storing impounded vehicles are set to go up starting in September. The province says it's bumping up the fees to increase the consequences for people who drive dangerously. 

Increase for towing fees in September

Senior assaulted with a baton

Senior assaulted with a baton
Police in North Vancouver are searching for a suspect after a road rage incident where a senior was assaulted with a baton. R-C-M-P say on August 12th at about 4 p-m, a man driving a black Tesla Model 3 was allegedly tailgating another vehicle and speeding.

Senior assaulted with a baton

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner
The British Columbia Coroners Service says at least 192 people died in July in the province due to unregulated drug toxicity, down 15 per cent from the same month last year. The service says in a release that 1,365 people have died of drug toxicity this year up to the end of July, a rate of death that is also down.

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys
British Columbia is moving to allow buildings up to six storeys to have one exit stairwell instead of two in the government's latest effort to boost housing supply. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says in a statement that updating the provincial building code to remove the requirement for a second egress or exit stairwell per floor will facilitate more options for residents who need larger layouts.

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys