Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC smuggler convicted

BC smuggler convicted
A failed plan to smuggle hundreds of kilograms of methamphetamine to Vancouver Island has resulted in a conviction in Seattle for an American man. A jury in U-S District Court found John Sherwood guilty of conspiracy to distribute drugs, possession of drugs and conspiracy to commit international money laundering in the April 2021 scheme.

BC smuggler convicted

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns
Fisheries and Oceans Canada says "aids to navigation" will continue operating at both the Carmanah Point and Pachena Point light stations located along the Vancouver Island coast that's also home to the famed West Coast Trail. The light keepers will move out of the buildings before winter weather arrives.

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Suspicious fire at Surrey home
Police on Vancouver Island say they have arrested a suspect after a suspicious fire at a home in Sidney. R-C-M-P say officers responded just before 2 p-m yesterday. They say the blaze required a response from the North Saanich, Sidney and Central Saanich Fire Departments.

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Home invasion in Port Moody

Home invasion in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody say a man has been changed over allegations he tried to steal cryptocurrency in a violent home invasion earlier this year.  Officers were called by a third-party to request a check on the well-being of a family on April 28th and found multiple victims who needed treatment for several injuries. 

Home invasion in Port Moody

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia is holding steady at just under 340 as the provincial government warns of increasing fire risk this weekend. A statement from the government says people in wildfire-prone areas are "strongly urged" to be vigilant, adhere to fire bans, and be prepared with an emergency plan.

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather

PBO estimates capital gain tax change to bring in $17.4B in revenue over five years

PBO estimates capital gain tax change to bring in $17.4B in revenue over five years
The parliamentary budget officer estimates the Liberals' increase to the capital gains inclusion rate will bring in $17.4 billion in revenue over five years. That's two billion dollars less than the federal government projected in its spring budget.

PBO estimates capital gain tax change to bring in $17.4B in revenue over five years