Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged with multiple B & E's

Man charged with multiple B & E's
A man suspected of multiple break-and-enters last year and in 2022 has been charged with 27 counts in relation to the incidents. Burnaby Mounties say the 44-year-old is facing charges ranging from break-and-enter to possession of stolen property, including for the purpose of trafficking.

Man charged with multiple B & E's

3 year housing plan for Surrey

3 year housing plan for Surrey
The City of Surrey is launching a three-year plan to boost the number of new housing units to an average of more than four thousand per year. A statement from the City of Surrey says the plan is enabled by 96-million-dollars in federal funding.  

3 year housing plan for Surrey

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike
Coast Mountain Bus Company and the union representing its transit supervisors have both accepted the recommendations of a mediator in an agreement that looks set to avert another Metro Vancouver bus strike. A statement from the bus firm's president, Michael McDaniel, said the next step was to sign a memorandum of agreement before the contract ratification process.

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says
The federal government is lashing out at the U.S. Commerce Department over plans to raise duties on Canadian softwood lumber. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says the U.S. has signalled it intends to raise duties to 13.86 per cent, up from 8.05 per cent.  Ng calls the move disappointing and entirely unwarranted.

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'
The Sons of Freedom were a small faction within the Doukhobor community, an exiled Russian Christian group, and were once known for naked protests and periodically burning down their own homes as a rejection of materialism. In her formal apology Thursday, Attorney General Niki Sharma acknowledged the children were "mistreated both physically and psychologically." 

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast
British Columbia's River Forecast Centre lifted a flood warning for the Lillooet and Squamish rivers, saying flows remain high but rainfall and snowmelt are tapering off.  A flood watch remains in effect for the Sproat and Somass rivers on Vancouver Island, while lower-level streamflow advisories cover the rest of the South Coast.

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast