Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ceremony planned to honour memory of those killed in 2017 Quebec City mosque attack

Ceremony planned to honour memory of those killed in 2017 Quebec City mosque attack
A ceremony commemorating victims of the deadly 2017 attack on a Quebec City mosque is scheduled to take place Monday evening. Six Muslim men were killed and five others were seriously injured when a gunman burst into the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre shortly after evening prayers on Jan. 29, 2017.

Ceremony planned to honour memory of those killed in 2017 Quebec City mosque attack

New Zealand mountaineer is fourth person to die in B.C. heli-ski crash

New Zealand mountaineer is fourth person to die in B.C. heli-ski crash
A New Zealand mountaineering expert injured in the heli-skiing crash north of Terrace, B.C., last week has died, bringing the death toll to four. The New Zealand Mountain Guides Association says In a Facebook post that its president, Lewis Ainsworth, had been on the Northern Escape Heli-Skiing helicopter as a guide.

New Zealand mountaineer is fourth person to die in B.C. heli-ski crash

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP
RCMP in Metro Vancouver say one man is dead and three people have been arrested after an alleged hit-and-run early Saturday morning. A statement from Surrey RCMP says officers responded at 1:43 a.m. to a report of a pedestrian being struck along 105th Avenue, not far from City Hall.

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating the city's first homicide of this year.  A statement from police says officers were called to a home near East 33rd Avenue and Knight Street just after 1 a.m. Sunday and found a man dead inside.  Police say they arrested a 39-year-old man at the scene.  

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say
Police in Coquitlam are asking for the public's help in identifying two separate drivers suspected of hitting the same pedestrian in alleged hit-and-run crashes. A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says the woman had been walking legally through a crosswalk at the intersection of Pinetree Way and Guildford Way, right across from City Hall, when the first vehicle struck her as it made a turn.

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students
British Columbia's Minister of Post-Secondary Education Selina Robinson says no new institutions will be allowed to enrol international students for two years. Robinson also says the province is setting minimum language requirements so international students are "better prepared" before coming to B.C.  

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students