Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets
The Conservative Party of Canada has deleted a video that was meant to promote its Canadian values but featured images of what the Defence Minister's office says are Russian fighter jets.  The party acknowledged on Monday that mistakes happen, while also pointing out that the Liberals have dealt with a stock image backlash in the past. 

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Canadian rail strike looking

Canadian rail strike looking
A ban on all new cargo pickups at Canadian Pacific is coming tomorrow if a deal is not reached between two of Canada's major railways and its union. A phased shutdown of the networks is already underway as a potential work stoppage looms on Thursday.

Canadian rail strike looking

Global Affairs says Canadian reported dead after yacht capsized off Sicily

Global Affairs says Canadian reported dead after yacht capsized off Sicily
Global Affairs Canada said Monday it's aware of reports that a Canadian has died after a luxury superyacht sank off Sicily during a violent storm, while Italian authorities said they continued to search for six people who remained unaccounted for.

Global Affairs says Canadian reported dead after yacht capsized off Sicily

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales
A Vancouver-based film company and its drone operator have been fined a total of $30,000 for operating a drone too close to northern resident killer whales.  A statement from Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the fines follow an investigation by the department's whale protection unit.

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales

B & E suspect ID needed

B & E suspect ID needed
Mounties in West Kelowna are asking the public for help in identifying the suspect in a break-and-enter at a home earlier this month. R-C-M-P say it happened when the homeowners were out for a walk, and while their adult daughter and her child were in the basement.

B & E suspect ID needed

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor
The mayor of Montreal says the cause of a major water main break Friday morning near the city's Jacques Cartier Bridge remains unknown. Valérie Plante says 50 buildings were flooded when millions of litres of water erupted onto city streets, and 16 households have asked the Red Cross for emergency housing.

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor