Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service
Thunderstorms will be rolling into eastern B.C. by mid-week and winds will pick up, which the BC Wildfire Service says has the potential to increase fire activity in the province. The service says the hot and dry trend that has already led to increased fire activity will continue throughout the southern half of B.C.

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned
The truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has applied to have his permanent resident status returned. The Immigration and Refugee Board issued a deportation order in May for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu and his permanent resident status was revoked.

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

One dead in Surrey crash

One dead in Surrey crash
Police in Surrey say a crash early Sunday morning claimed one life and closed a portion of 144th Street.  R-C-M-P say the two-vehicle collision happened just before 5 A-M Sunday at the intersection of 144th and 62nd Avenue. 

One dead in Surrey crash

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday
A Calgary official says the city is set to announce Monday whether it's ready to lift its mandatory ban on outdoor watering. The ban has been in place since a major water feeder main burst on June 5.

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote
A shakeup of seismic proportions is reshaping the British Columbia political landscape a little over three months ahead of this fall's Oct. 19 election. Former political foes are forging once unimaginable unions, an established party faces annihilation at the ballot box and heavyweights from the ruling New Democrats have waited until summer to announce their retirements.

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote