Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Liberals Change Leadership Dates To Avoid Super Bowl Clash

The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2017 12:18 PM
    VANCOUVER — To avoid a potential political fumble British Columbia's Liberal party is moving the dates of its leadership race to avoid conflicting with the Super Bowl.
     
    The party had planned to announce its new leader on Feb. 4 at a convention in Vancouver — the same day the NFL's championship game will be played in Minnesota.
     
    On Wednesday, the party said the date was being changed and a new leader will now be announced Feb. 3 after three days of voting online and by telephone.
     
    Liberal president Sharon White says in a statement the switch was made after many people asked the party to avoid clashing with one of the year's most-watched sporting events.
     
     
    Former premier Christy Clark triggered the leadership contest when she stepped down as both party leader and a member of the legislature.
     
    The Liberals had been in power for 16 years before they were defeated in a confidence vote earlier this summer.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Fort McMurray Fire Chiefs Retires, Says No Regrets In Handling Of Wildfire

    Fort McMurray Fire Chiefs Retires, Says No Regrets In Handling Of Wildfire
    Darby Allen celebrated his retirement by having cake with colleagues on Thursday.

    Fort McMurray Fire Chiefs Retires, Says No Regrets In Handling Of Wildfire

    Judge Ends Manslaughter Case Against N.B. Police Officers In Shooting

    Judge Ends Manslaughter Case Against N.B. Police Officers In Shooting
    Const. Patrick Bulger and Const. Mathieu Boudreau were charged in the death of 51-year-old Michel Vienneau, who was shot in his vehicle outside the Bathurst train station on Jan. 12, 2015.

    Judge Ends Manslaughter Case Against N.B. Police Officers In Shooting

    Six Men Face Charges After RCMP Foil Alleged Cape Breton Cocaine Conspiracy

    Six Men Face Charges After RCMP Foil Alleged Cape Breton Cocaine Conspiracy
    Mounties say six people face a total of 23 charges in the 18-month-long investigation, dubbed Operation Halfpenny.

    Six Men Face Charges After RCMP Foil Alleged Cape Breton Cocaine Conspiracy

    'They Knew He Was Dying' Parents Guilty Of 1st-Degree Murder In Son's Death

    'They Knew He Was Dying' Parents Guilty Of 1st-Degree Murder In Son's Death
    Justice Karen Horner said Emil Radita, 60, and Rodica Radita, 54, were equally guilty of murdering 15-year-old Alexandru.

    'They Knew He Was Dying' Parents Guilty Of 1st-Degree Murder In Son's Death

    Newfoundland Police Officer Acquitted In Contentious Sexual Assault Case

    Newfoundland Police Officer Acquitted In Contentious Sexual Assault Case
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A jury has acquitted a Newfoundland police officer of sexually assaulting an intoxicated woman he drove home from a bar while on duty.

    Newfoundland Police Officer Acquitted In Contentious Sexual Assault Case

    Man Dead After Campervan Goes Up In Flames In Surrey, B.C.

    Man Dead After Campervan Goes Up In Flames In Surrey, B.C.
    Mounties say the victim, a 55-year-old Surrey resident, was sleeping when the blaze began.

    Man Dead After Campervan Goes Up In Flames In Surrey, B.C.