Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Mill Owners, Operator To Review Ruling After Workers' Deaths In Blast

The Canadian Press, 06 Aug, 2015 10:58 AM
    VANCOUVER — The owners of a northern British Columbia sawmill and its operator say they will review the recommendations of a coroners inquest into the deaths of two workers in an explosion.
     
    Hampton Affiliates and Babine Forest Products say they will also discuss last week's ruling with employees in the next 60 days.
     
    The inquest concluded that 45-year-old Robert Luggi and 42-year-old Carl Charlie died accidentally after a January 2012 blast at the mill about 200 kilometres west of Prince George.
     
    A WorkSafeBC investigation revealed an accumulation of wood dust was a major factor in the disaster that also injured 19 other workers and flattened the mill.
     
    The jury made 33 recommendations, and the coroner came up with another eight on how similar tragedies could be avoided in the future, including that the company ensure compliance with the National Fire Code.
     
    Babine Forest Products and Hampton Affiliates say the new mill was designed to meet or exceed all current fire, dust and electrical regulations.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    British Navy Members Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Woman Ask For Change In Bail

    Simon Radford, Joshua Finbow, Craig Stoner and Darren Smalley were in Nova Scotia to play in a hockey tournament with local Armed Forces personnel when they were arrested in April.

    British Navy Members Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Woman Ask For Change In Bail

    B.C. Lobbyists Consistently Making Same Mistakes, Says Privacy Czar In Report

    VICTORIA — Fines have been levied against a who's who of British Columbia's political movers and shakers as part of a crackdown on lobbyists by the province's privacy czar.

    B.C. Lobbyists Consistently Making Same Mistakes, Says Privacy Czar In Report

    With Tom Mulcair's Fortunes On The Rise, Skeletons Hauled Back Out Of The Closet

    With Tom Mulcair's Fortunes On The Rise, Skeletons Hauled Back Out Of The Closet
    It might be old news that Tom Mulcair once talked to Stephen Harper's Conservatives about becoming an adviser, but the reasons behind why the story has resurfaced could be the most interesting part.

    With Tom Mulcair's Fortunes On The Rise, Skeletons Hauled Back Out Of The Closet

    Saskatchewan Out Of Firefighting Funds As More Than 3,000 Evacuated From North

    Saskatchewan Out Of Firefighting Funds As More Than 3,000 Evacuated From North
    Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says the province's firefighting budget has been depleted, but crews will keep working in the north, where flames and smoke have forced at least 3,000 people from their homes.

    Saskatchewan Out Of Firefighting Funds As More Than 3,000 Evacuated From North

    Lawyer Shamsher Kothari Says 2 Men Convicted In Multimillion Dollar Ponzi Scheme May Die In Jail

    Lawyer Shamsher Kothari Says 2 Men Convicted In Multimillion Dollar Ponzi Scheme May Die In Jail
    CALGARY — The lawyer of one of two men convicted in one of the largest Ponzi schemes in Canadian history says his client could end up dying in jail.

    Lawyer Shamsher Kothari Says 2 Men Convicted In Multimillion Dollar Ponzi Scheme May Die In Jail

    Med Student Accused Of Sister Sex Abuse Staves Off Extradition To U.S.

    Med Student Accused Of Sister Sex Abuse Staves Off Extradition To U.S.
    TORONTO — A medical student alleged to have abused two teenaged sisters in a manner a judge once described as close to torture has staved off extradition to the United States to stand trial.

    Med Student Accused Of Sister Sex Abuse Staves Off Extradition To U.S.