Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Mill Owners, Operator To Review Ruling After Workers' Deaths In Blast

The Canadian Press, 06 Aug, 2015 10:58 AM
    VANCOUVER — The owners of a northern British Columbia sawmill and its operator say they will review the recommendations of a coroners inquest into the deaths of two workers in an explosion.
     
    Hampton Affiliates and Babine Forest Products say they will also discuss last week's ruling with employees in the next 60 days.
     
    The inquest concluded that 45-year-old Robert Luggi and 42-year-old Carl Charlie died accidentally after a January 2012 blast at the mill about 200 kilometres west of Prince George.
     
    A WorkSafeBC investigation revealed an accumulation of wood dust was a major factor in the disaster that also injured 19 other workers and flattened the mill.
     
    The jury made 33 recommendations, and the coroner came up with another eight on how similar tragedies could be avoided in the future, including that the company ensure compliance with the National Fire Code.
     
    Babine Forest Products and Hampton Affiliates say the new mill was designed to meet or exceed all current fire, dust and electrical regulations.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    IMF Slashes Outlook For Canadian Economic Growth This Year To 1.5 Per Cent

    IMF Slashes Outlook For Canadian Economic Growth This Year To 1.5 Per Cent
    OTTAWA — The International Monetary Fund is slashing its outlook for Canadian economic growth this year.

    IMF Slashes Outlook For Canadian Economic Growth This Year To 1.5 Per Cent

    No Fences To Protect Wayward Tourists From The Ocean At Peggy's Cove: Minister

    No Fences To Protect Wayward Tourists From The Ocean At Peggy's Cove: Minister
    HALIFAX — The Nova Scotia government says it will not install fences on the rocks at Peggy's Cove because they wouldn't deter people from getting too close to the ocean.

    No Fences To Protect Wayward Tourists From The Ocean At Peggy's Cove: Minister

    Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Case Of Federal Employee Dismissed Without Cause

    Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Case Of Federal Employee Dismissed Without Cause
    The high court granted leave to appeal in the case of man who was dismissed without cause by Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. in 2009 and given a severance package.

    Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Case Of Federal Employee Dismissed Without Cause

    IKEA To Install Free Electric Vehicle Charging Stations At All 12 Canadian Shops

    IKEA To Install Free Electric Vehicle Charging Stations At All 12 Canadian Shops
    The home furnishings retailer says it is installing charging stations for electric vehicles at all 12 of its stores across Canada.

    IKEA To Install Free Electric Vehicle Charging Stations At All 12 Canadian Shops

    B.C. Gives Restricted Ok For Mine To Reopen After Tailings Spill Disaster

    B.C. Gives Restricted Ok For Mine To Reopen After Tailings Spill Disaster
    VICTORIA — The British Columbia government has issued a conditional permit allowing the Mount Polley mine to reopen, but with restrictions.

    B.C. Gives Restricted Ok For Mine To Reopen After Tailings Spill Disaster

    Quebec Shooting Leaves Two People Dead, One Injured

    Quebec Shooting Leaves Two People Dead, One Injured
    MARIEVILLE, Que. — Two people are dead and another has suffered serious injuries following a shooting in Quebec on Wednesday evening.

    Quebec Shooting Leaves Two People Dead, One Injured