Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned
Police in Nanaimo say a brazen theft of a 75-inch television from a Walmart in June was ill planned, with two suspects caught on video placing the large T-V on a car rooftop and holding it down with nothing but their hands. Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man and a woman, both in their 40s, now face theft charges after they were filmed driving off with the stolen T-V on the evening of June 8th.

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom
Surrey RCMP say they believe Verity Bolton, along with her father Robert and boyfriend Abraxus Glazov are living in trailers in a rural area after the woman failed to return the children to their father earlier this month. 

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver
The 70-year-old victim was crossing West Georgia Street at Cardero on July 22 at 9 a.m. when he was hit in the crosswalk by a dark blue Mini Cooper travelling east on West Georgia. The victim was taken to hospital where he remains in recovery.

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation
Khaled Hussein, who is 28, was charged under the Terrorism Act for allegedly being a member of a proscribed organization in the U.K. He was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport last week.

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy
Amarjeet Sohi says $47.8 million is coming from the federal 2 Billion Trees program and the amount is being matched by the city. Sohi says the money will allow Edmonton to expand its tree-planting efforts and bring it closer to its goal of being a "healthy and climate-resilient city."

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November
The government is putting $156 million over three years toward a new three-digit suicide-prevention hotline, Mental Health Minister Carolyn Bennett announced Monday. Starting on Nov. 30, people in crisis will be able to dial 988 anywhere in Canada to be connected with trained responders 24 hours a day by phone or text message.

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November