Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy
Ottawa released a statement Wednesday confirming that it was going ahead with the expropriations without the consent of all affected land owners. Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek say in the release that the federal government will take physical possession of the parcels of land required for the project on Aug. 1.  

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy

Ottawa boosts Haiti sanctions, police funding during summit aimed at resolving crisis

Ottawa boosts Haiti sanctions, police funding during summit aimed at resolving crisis
Ottawa is also adding $13 million to its funding for law enforcement, as Canada and the U.S. focus on shoring up the work of the Haitian National Police as they try to stop gangs from committing brazen acts of violence and controlling critical infrastructure.

Ottawa boosts Haiti sanctions, police funding during summit aimed at resolving crisis

Man finds metal bolt in McDonald's meal

Man finds metal bolt in McDonald's meal
A man is suing a fast-food restaurant in B-C after allegedly finding a metal bolt in his meal. Court documents say carpenter Roman Chromy was eating at a New Westminster McDonald's where he bought the allegedly contaminated food.

Man finds metal bolt in McDonald's meal

Man found guilty of sexual assault

Man found guilty of sexual assault
A B-C man has been found guilty of sexual assault stemming from an attack in Metro Vancouver in early 2022. North Vancouver R-C-M-P say Mission resident Jairus-Paul Sacramento is to be sentenced in court at a later date.

Man found guilty of sexual assault

4 found dead in Prince Rupert home

4 found dead in Prince Rupert home
Prince Rupert R-C-M-P say in a media release that officers responded to a call to the 100 block of Silversides Drive on Tuesday evening. Police say they do not believe there is a risk to the public, nor is there an outstanding suspect in the case.

4 found dead in Prince Rupert home

BC launches Demographic Survey to combat systemic racism

BC launches Demographic Survey to combat systemic racism
The province says the B-C Demographic Survey was created through engagement with Indigenous and other racialized communities. The province says the survey can be accessed via the government's website or by calling a toll-free number.

BC launches Demographic Survey to combat systemic racism