Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Emergency preparedness minister warns wildfire situation is unprecedented, dangerous

Emergency preparedness minister warns wildfire situation is unprecedented, dangerous
As the situation in Alberta grew quickly out of control in early May, the Canadian military moved in to help, and the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre also helped commission firefighters from other provinces and other countries. Canada has agreements to share firefighters with six other countries — the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Mexico and Costa Rica.

Emergency preparedness minister warns wildfire situation is unprecedented, dangerous

Langley Officer, Navarash Dhillon, faces charge from incidents dating back five years

Langley Officer, Navarash Dhillon, faces charge from incidents dating back five years
The B.C. Prosecution Service says the single charge was approved against Const. Navarash Dhillon. It says in a statement that the charge relates to alleged incidents that occurred in Langley between September and December 2018.   

Langley Officer, Navarash Dhillon, faces charge from incidents dating back five years

Translink sees jump in ridership

Translink sees jump in ridership
A report compiled for TransLink -- Metro Vancouver's transportation network -- shows ridership has jumped 20 per cent or more in all areas over the past year. The report says overcrowding is approaching pre-pandemic levels -- especially in regions including Richmond, Surrey, Delta, White Rock and Langley.

Translink sees jump in ridership

Multi-vehicle collision on Hwy 3 claims one life

Multi-vehicle collision on Hwy 3 claims one life
At least one person has been killed in a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 3 east of Cranbrook. The collision happened at around 7 a.m. and it has completely closed that stretch of Highway 3 while an investigation is underway.

Multi-vehicle collision on Hwy 3 claims one life

ICBC has new offer for drivers

ICBC has new offer for drivers
The Insurance Corporation of B-C says more than half of motorists in this province support discounts for those who don't drive much, so it has created a package offering new savings to those with mileage under 10-thousand kilometres per year.  

ICBC has new offer for drivers

B.C. to invest $17 million on science, Indigenous knowledge to restore Pacific salmon

B.C. to invest $17 million on science, Indigenous knowledge to restore Pacific salmon
The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says the bulk of the money will be shared equally between the First Nations Fisheries Council and the Pacific Salmon Foundation as the organizations work to conserve and restore the fish.

B.C. to invest $17 million on science, Indigenous knowledge to restore Pacific salmon