Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need your help in locating missing man Bikramjeet Singh

Surrey RCMP need your help in locating missing man Bikramjeet Singh
He was last seen on April 15, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. in the 7000-block of 131 Street in Surrey. Police and family are concerned for Bikramjeet’s health and well-being as it is out of character for him to be out of contact.

Surrey RCMP need your help in locating missing man Bikramjeet Singh

Surrey recognized as ‘Tree City of the World’ for fourth time

Surrey recognized as ‘Tree City of the World’ for fourth time
The Tree Cities of the World Program is an international initiative intended to recognize cities and towns that are committed to ensuring their urban forests are celebrated, properly maintained, and sustainably managed.  

Surrey recognized as ‘Tree City of the World’ for fourth time

Housing, dental benefits had low take-up: report

Housing, dental benefits had low take-up: report
The federal dental benefit was rolled out in the fall to provide families with up to $650 per child under 12 for dental care. It was the first step toward creating a national dental care program, a key promise in the Liberals' confidence-and-supply agreement with the NDP.

Housing, dental benefits had low take-up: report

War on drugs redux: U.S. cracks down on fentanyl

War on drugs redux: U.S. cracks down on fentanyl
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino says a continental strategy for dealing with fentanyl will be a key priority during the meetings. The U.S. has already embarked on an aggressive law-enforcement approach, seizing more than 2,200 kilograms of fentanyl in the last month — virtually all of it coming across the southern border.    

War on drugs redux: U.S. cracks down on fentanyl

Federal workers to strike if no deal by tonight

Federal workers to strike if no deal by tonight
Mediated contract negotiations between the Public Service Alliance of Canada and the government began in early April and continued through the weekend in what the union describes as the government's last chance to reach a deal.

Federal workers to strike if no deal by tonight

Officers to testify at inquest of B.C. man's death

Officers to testify at inquest of B.C. man's death
Myles Gray, who was 33, died in August 2015, shortly after a beating by seven officers, leaving him with a broken eye socket, a crushed voice box, a ruptured testicle and other injuries. The inquest began Monday in Burnaby, B.C., with testimony from six of the more than 40 witnesses expected to appear over 10 days.    

Officers to testify at inquest of B.C. man's death