Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Coquitlam high school was under lockdown, RCMP investigating

Coquitlam high school was under lockdown, RCMP investigating
Police have identified and located two youth who are believed to be the source of the threat. There is no continued threat to the public or the school. The school lifted their lockdown with classes resuming as normal.

Coquitlam high school was under lockdown, RCMP investigating

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey
It says police identified two robbery suspects and, during an altercation, an officer shot and killed a man. The authority says the second suspect was taken into custody and no one else was hurt.

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash
Mayor Michael Behiel has proclaimed it “2017-18 Humboldt Broncos Day” and encouraged people to take a moment of silence as the bells echo around 4:50 p.m., the approximate time the crash occurred five years ago.

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers
Mayor Ken Sim ordered the long-standing encampment removed after the city's police and fire chiefs warned of escalating crime and an unacceptable fire risk. At the camp's peak, about 180 structures covered the sidewalk along the busy street.

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend
Drivers are reminded that the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will be closed in both directions starting on Thursday, April 6, at 10 p.m. and reopening on Tuesday, April 11, at 5 a.m. Drivers should take the Port Mann or Alex Fraser bridges as alternate routes. 

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges
On March 3rd of last year police were contacted about allegations involving a man and a child victim whom the accused had initially met online, and later met in-person. On March 9th,  following an extensive investigation, 39-year-old Adam Joseph Woolacott of Burnaby was charged with various sexual offences. 

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges