Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada weighs new submarines as allies push ahead

Canada weighs new submarines as allies push ahead
The Royal Canadian Navy launched a push to replace the country's four Victoria-class submarines nearly two years ago by creating a special team to figure out what Canada needs in a new fleet. The move came in response to growing concerns about the age of Canada's existing submarines and the amount of time needed to design and build such vessels.

Canada weighs new submarines as allies push ahead

NDP wants Liberals to expand GST rebate in budget

NDP wants Liberals to expand GST rebate in budget
Party leader Jagmeet Singh said he expects to see money in the budget to expand dental care coverage to teens, seniors and people living with a disability, which was part of the confidence-and-supply agreement with the Liberals.

NDP wants Liberals to expand GST rebate in budget

A look at vehicle-ramming cases in Canada

A look at vehicle-ramming cases in Canada
Two people are dead and nine others are injured after a pickup truck ran into multiple pedestrians in the eastern Quebec community of Amqui on Monday, with police alleging the driver acted deliberately and with premeditation. Here's a look at some other vehicle-ramming cases in Canada in recent years:    

A look at vehicle-ramming cases in Canada

Body found after shots fired in Surrey, B.C.

Body found after shots fired in Surrey, B.C.
A statement from Surrey RCMP says the body was discovered as officers were called to the Grandview Heights neighbourhood just before 8 p.m. Monday. Police say the unnamed victim appeared to have been shot. The case has been turned over to IHIT. 

Body found after shots fired in Surrey, B.C.

Feds invest in safety improvements for cyclists and pedestrians along Surrey’s King George Boulevard

Feds invest in safety improvements for cyclists and pedestrians along Surrey’s King George Boulevard
Pedestrian safety measures and protected cycling infrastructure will be put in place between 96th and 108th avenues. Planned pedestrian safety improvements include wider sidewalks, curb extensions, new crosswalks and accessible curb ramps. 

Feds invest in safety improvements for cyclists and pedestrians along Surrey’s King George Boulevard

Two pedestrians killed in Quebec crash: police

Two pedestrians killed in Quebec crash: police
Sgt. Hélène St-Pierre said the 38-year-old driver, a local resident, turned himself in to police and was arrested under suspicion of committing a fatal hit and run. One man who died was in his 60s, and the other was in his 70s.    

Two pedestrians killed in Quebec crash: police