Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

One-third of Canadians financially worse off: poll

One-third of Canadians financially worse off: poll
According to a Leger poll commissioned by the Association for Canadian Studies, 34 per cent of Canadian households say they're financially worse off compared with a year ago. The majority of respondents, 58 per cent, said their financial situation was about the same as it was a year ago.    

One-third of Canadians financially worse off: poll

Trudeau to present new health offer to premiers

Trudeau to present new health offer to premiers
The provinces budgeted about $204 billion for health care in this fiscal year and the Canada Health Transfer was set at $45 billion, or about 22 per cent of that. The premiers want the federal share to increase to 35 per cent.

Trudeau to present new health offer to premiers

Canada announces $10 million in earthquake aid

Canada announces $10 million in earthquake aid
The death toll of Monday's earthquake has surpassed 6,200 and is expected to rise as search and rescue operations continue. Turkish Canadians have also stepped in to raise funds and collect donations to send to their country of origin.

Canada announces $10 million in earthquake aid

U.S. actor charged in Nevada also charged in B.C

U.S. actor charged in Nevada also charged in B.C
The 46-year-old Chasing Horse remains behind bars in the U.S. after being formally charged Monday in North Las Vegas with counts including sex trafficking, sexual assault against a child younger than 16, and child abuse.

U.S. actor charged in Nevada also charged in B.C

B.C. to have a reconciliation holiday in September

B.C. to have a reconciliation holiday in September
Labour Minister Harry Bains introduced a bill in the legislature today, saying the holiday will be observed this September and every Sept. 30 afterwards. He says the B.C. holiday follows the federal government's decision in 2021 to declare Sept. 30 a national truth and reconciliation holiday for its workers.

B.C. to have a reconciliation holiday in September

Drought water restrictions lift on Sunshine Coast

Drought water restrictions lift on Sunshine Coast
In October, the regional district said the reservoir — which serves about 90 per cent of residents in the area — was at risk of "imminent exhaustion" as southern B.C. recorded an unseasonably dry summer and warm fall.

Drought water restrictions lift on Sunshine Coast