Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Illegal border crossings at pre-pandemic levels

Illegal border crossings at pre-pandemic levels
The frozen bodies of Jagdish Patel, 39; his wife Vaishaliben Patel, 37; their 11-year-old daughter, Vihangi; and their three-year-old son, Dharmik, were found on Jan. 19, 2022, near Emerson, Man., just metres from the U.S. border.    

Illegal border crossings at pre-pandemic levels

Slide keeps residents out of Campbell River condos

Slide keeps residents out of Campbell River condos
An evacuation order was issued for the properties in the 700 block of Island Highway South after the slides came down Tuesday. No one was hurt, but the mud and debris demolished a ground-level covered parking area behind one of the condos.    

Slide keeps residents out of Campbell River condos

More universities reviewing Turpel-Lafond degrees

More universities reviewing Turpel-Lafond degrees
The Indigenous Women's Collective says in a statement that the honours should be withdrawn because the former law professor "stole" the identity and lived experiences of Indigenous women.

More universities reviewing Turpel-Lafond degrees

Hootsuite lays off 7% of staff, names new CEO

Hootsuite lays off 7% of staff, names new CEO
Social media technology company Hootsuite Inc. is laying off seven per cent of its staff in its third job cut in the last year and replacing its chief executive. The Vancouver company says the latest round of layoffs amounts to about 70 people and is meant to position the business for the long term.    

Hootsuite lays off 7% of staff, names new CEO

B.C. officer remembered as genuine, dedicated

B.C. officer remembered as genuine, dedicated
Nelson Police Service Chief Const. Donovan Fisher announced Wade Tittemore's promotion at his funeral service today, saying they had already planned to move the constable up to their general investigation section before he died. Tittemore, who was 43, died while off duty when an avalanche rolled over him and a co-worker Jan. 9 while they were skiing in the backcountry in southeastern B.C.

B.C. officer remembered as genuine, dedicated

B.C. signs 'historic' deal with First Nation

B.C. signs 'historic' deal with First Nation
The agreement, signed Tuesday with the Blueberry River First Nations in northeastern B.C., includes a $200-million restoration fund and timelines for coming up with plans to manage watersheds and oil and gas activities in parts of the First Nations' claim area, which covers four per cent of the province.

B.C. signs 'historic' deal with First Nation