Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

ICBC files for 2-year rate freeze on car insurance

ICBC files for 2-year rate freeze on car insurance
The announcement comes as ICBC reported $117 million in net income for the first half of the 2022-23 fiscal year, alongside lower investment income and a significant decline in value for the insurer's equity investments by the fall.

ICBC files for 2-year rate freeze on car insurance

$100,000 reward over attack on GasLink site

$100,000 reward over attack on GasLink site
Association president Chris Gardner says the reward will go to anyone providing information leading to arrests and charges against the "thugs and criminals" behind the attack, which RCMP say caused millions of dollars in damage.

$100,000 reward over attack on GasLink site

Influx at BC Children's could mean double-bunking

Influx at BC Children's could mean double-bunking
Last week, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the province was seeing a "dramatic increase" in illness and it arrived sooner than the seasonal flu usually would. Health Minister Adrian Dix said at the same time that provincial emergency rooms had been seeing a peak of up to 6,900 patients daily.

Influx at BC Children's could mean double-bunking

Premiers demand meeting with PM on health care

Premiers demand meeting with PM on health care
The provincial and territorial leaders issued their call for a sit-down with Trudeau after a closed-door meeting in Winnipeg, one month after talks with the federal government on health-care funding ended without an agreement.

Premiers demand meeting with PM on health care

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC
The centre says in a new update that influenza A was the most detected virus in B.C. last week, while wastewater tests indicate a slow increase in COVID-19 infections. It says B.C. is experiencing an unusual season for respiratory illnesses with "unusual characteristics," including an intense early surge in cases and the flu-related deaths of children and youth.  

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

Woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside vehicle dies: Coquitlam RCMP

Woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside vehicle dies: Coquitlam RCMP
Police found a woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside a vehicle and immediately began lifesaving measures. The woman later passed away due to her injuries on scene. This is believed to be an isolated incident.

Woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside vehicle dies: Coquitlam RCMP