Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:37 AM
  • B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

VICTORIA - A new report from British Columbia's coroner says suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths in July were the second-highest ever recorded in a single month in the province.

The findings show deaths reached 184 in July, which tied with those in January 2021 and fell just behind June 2020 when 186 people died.

The report comes less than a month after chief coroner Lisa Lapointe said January to June was the deadliest ever for drug toxicity in B.C.

With data from July added, the report says the 1,204 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths are the highest ever in the first seven months of a year — 28 per cent above the same period last year.

Lapointe says an average of almost six people died every day in July, with 72 per cent between the ages of 30 and 59, while men accounted for nearly 80 per cent of the total fatalities.

Deaths involving fentanyl stayed at 86 per cent, unchanged from 2020, but the report says deaths linked to extreme fentanyl concentrations jumped to 13 per cent from eight per cent.

The ultrapowerful opioid carfentanil was detected in 113 deaths this year, compared with 65 over the same period last year.

When Lapointe released her last report in August, covering drug toxicity deaths over the first half of the year, she said it was "tremendously frustrating" to see the lack of significant progress in stemming fatalities.

The new report says Vancouver Coastal Health and Northern Health have the highest rates of drug toxicity deaths with 47 and 46 deaths respectively per 100,000 population, while the overall rate is 40 deaths per 100,000 residents.

Communities with the highest rates include Merritt, Powell River, Enderby, Peace River South, and Hope, says the report.

Most overdoses in 2021 have been indoors, in private homes, while data show 15 per cent have happened outside in vehicles, parks, sidewalks or streets.

No deaths have been reported at supervised consumption or drug overdose prevention sites, the report says.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

PBO estimates feds will profit in Air Canada deal

PBO estimates feds will profit in Air Canada deal
The package included the government taking a six per cent stake in the airline for $500 million, plus offering about $4 billion in secured and unsecured credit for operating and regular business expenses, and a separate $1.4 billion in unsecured credit earmarked to refund travellers impacted by COVID-19.

PBO estimates feds will profit in Air Canada deal

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines
Procurement Minister Anita Anand announced the donation through the COVAX vaccine-sharing alliance today as many developing nations continue to struggle with a shortage of shots.

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2
Meng Wanzhou, who is the Chinese telecom giant's CFO and daughter of the company's founder, is facing extradition to the United States on fraud charges that both she and the company deny.

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2

Boy bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Boy bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park
The Conservation Officer Service says in a statement that the five-year-old was bitten on the leg Tuesday night. The statement says the boy had run ahead of his family while they were visiting Prospect Point.

Boy bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Key players in military misconduct scandal

Key players in military misconduct scandal
Harjit Sajjan has come under fire from opposition MPs and the one-time Canadian Armed Forces ombudsman over his handling of misconduct allegations. 

Key players in military misconduct scandal

Man charged after landing helicopter for ice cream

Man charged after landing helicopter for ice cream
An investigation determined the landing was not an emergency. Police said a passenger left the helicopter and went into a nearby Dairy Queen restaurant to buy an ice cream cake.

Man charged after landing helicopter for ice cream