Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 05:29 PM
  • B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

A Realtor charged with interfering with British Columbia wildfire-fighting operations in 2023 says he made a mistake by launching a drone on Okanagan Lake to get a photo of a burnt-out hotel.

But Derek Leippi of Kelowna, B.C., says he was unaware firefighters were still at work in the area, 10 days after the McDougall Creek wildfire caused widespread devastation and destroyed hundreds of homes. 

Court records say the alleged offence occurred on Aug. 27, 2023, when Leippi says he was on his boat and launched his drone to get a photo of the destroyed hotel.

He says he didn't know that fire suppression activities were still occurring, and he reined in his "pocket drone" as soon as he was instructed by police. 

Leippi says he didn't intend to interfere with firefighting efforts, and co-operated by giving a statement afterwards.

He says he hopes to resolve the charge, but he's yet to speak to Crown prosecutors or to retain a lawyer. 

"It was a stupid thing to do, you know, to even try to launch a drone … even if it was almost two weeks after the fires," he said in an interview. "I guess they still were trying to snuff out some certain spots that were in the area."

He said he wasn't trying to film any active wildfires or intentionally interfere with wildfire operations. 

"It was a mistake for sure, absolutely a mistake," he said. 

Leippi is due back in B.C. provincial court in Kelowna on Feb. 11.

MORE National ARTICLES

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP
RCMP in Coquitlam say an injured bear had to be put down after officers discovered that residents had been feeding it. They say police and the BC Conservation Officer Service went to a neighbourhood in Coquitlam on Wednesday and found an injured bear surrounded by a large crowd. 

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public
The Liberal government said it has not yet made a decision on whether it will grant a bonus for the head of CBC after the public broadcaster eliminated hundreds of jobs. But because of the Privacy Act, it will likely be up to CEO Catherine Tait to publicly disclose if she does receive one, as she has done in past for the 2021-22 fiscal year at a past Canadian Heritage committee. 

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs
RCMP in Coquitlam say a report of a suspicious vehicle led to the seizure of 1.5 kilograms of suspected fentanyl as well as heroin and methamphetamine. Police say officers found the vehicle in an underground parking lot of an apartment building in the area of North Road and Smith Street.

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Machete assault in Williams Lake

Machete assault in Williams Lake
Mounties in Williams Lake say they're investigating a break-in and assault that allegedly involved three men carrying machetes. Police say officers were called to a home overnight Thursday, and one person was visibly injured when the residents came outside.

Machete assault in Williams Lake

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire
Residents came in a sporadic line of cars, trucks and recreational vehicles. One pickup had a refrigerator in its bed. They moved along the main highway through Jasper National Park to the point where it branches off to the east side of the town.

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says
Jacob Hoggard's lawyers say the former Hedley frontman is now serving his sentence after Ontario's top court dismissed his appeal of his sexual assault conviction. The musician's legal team says he surrendered into custody before the ruling was delivered today.

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says