Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 05:29 PM
  • B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

A Realtor charged with interfering with British Columbia wildfire-fighting operations in 2023 says he made a mistake by launching a drone on Okanagan Lake to get a photo of a burnt-out hotel.

But Derek Leippi of Kelowna, B.C., says he was unaware firefighters were still at work in the area, 10 days after the McDougall Creek wildfire caused widespread devastation and destroyed hundreds of homes. 

Court records say the alleged offence occurred on Aug. 27, 2023, when Leippi says he was on his boat and launched his drone to get a photo of the destroyed hotel.

He says he didn't know that fire suppression activities were still occurring, and he reined in his "pocket drone" as soon as he was instructed by police. 

Leippi says he didn't intend to interfere with firefighting efforts, and co-operated by giving a statement afterwards.

He says he hopes to resolve the charge, but he's yet to speak to Crown prosecutors or to retain a lawyer. 

"It was a stupid thing to do, you know, to even try to launch a drone … even if it was almost two weeks after the fires," he said in an interview. "I guess they still were trying to snuff out some certain spots that were in the area."

He said he wasn't trying to film any active wildfires or intentionally interfere with wildfire operations. 

"It was a mistake for sure, absolutely a mistake," he said. 

Leippi is due back in B.C. provincial court in Kelowna on Feb. 11.

MORE National ARTICLES

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight
One person is dead and another has been airlifted to hospital following a crash on Highway 1 in British Columbia. Sgt. Joe Leeson with Langley RCMP says officers were called around 9:40 p.m. Friday night after a tow truck hit the rear of a tractor-trailer unit in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1.  Leeson says the tow-truck driver died at the scene.

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall
The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna
A 24-year-old woman faces a charge for what RCMP in Kelowna say was a home invasion where another woman was repeatedly stabbed. Officers responded to the call on Saturday and found a 28-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries after she had been stabbed several times. 

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases
The federal government says Canada will challenge recent increases to softwood lumber duties by the United States. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says Canada has taken steps to launch two legal challenges under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases