Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 05:29 PM
  • B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

A Realtor charged with interfering with British Columbia wildfire-fighting operations in 2023 says he made a mistake by launching a drone on Okanagan Lake to get a photo of a burnt-out hotel.

But Derek Leippi of Kelowna, B.C., says he was unaware firefighters were still at work in the area, 10 days after the McDougall Creek wildfire caused widespread devastation and destroyed hundreds of homes. 

Court records say the alleged offence occurred on Aug. 27, 2023, when Leippi says he was on his boat and launched his drone to get a photo of the destroyed hotel.

He says he didn't know that fire suppression activities were still occurring, and he reined in his "pocket drone" as soon as he was instructed by police. 

Leippi says he didn't intend to interfere with firefighting efforts, and co-operated by giving a statement afterwards.

He says he hopes to resolve the charge, but he's yet to speak to Crown prosecutors or to retain a lawyer. 

"It was a stupid thing to do, you know, to even try to launch a drone … even if it was almost two weeks after the fires," he said in an interview. "I guess they still were trying to snuff out some certain spots that were in the area."

He said he wasn't trying to film any active wildfires or intentionally interfere with wildfire operations. 

"It was a mistake for sure, absolutely a mistake," he said. 

Leippi is due back in B.C. provincial court in Kelowna on Feb. 11.

MORE National ARTICLES

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision
On Tuesday at approximately 2:45 pm, BC Highway Patrol (BCHP) and Chilliwack RCMP responded to a multi-vehicle incident on Highway 1 near Yale Road West in Chilliwack. The highway has been shut down eastbound and currently has a single lane open westbound.

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision

Man arrested in Airbnb break and enter

Man arrested in Airbnb break and enter
Mounties in North Vancouver say they have arrested a man for the breaking and entering of an Airbnb last month. They say a family from the United States had been unloading their car at the property and had left the rear door of the home open.

Man arrested in Airbnb break and enter

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board
The Transportation Safety Board says a plane that crashed last year in Campbell River, B.C., was modified improperly after getting flight permits. The board's report on the September 2023 crash says the plane took off from Campbell River Airport with two pilots aboard who were involved in the development of a prototype aircraft with Sealand Aviation Ltd.

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond
Mounties in Chilliwack say a four-year-old girl has drowned in a pond at a leisure centre. Police say they received a report of the drowning at the water park of the Chilliwack Landing Leisure Centre Monday night. 

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton
A landslide has forced the closure of a large stretch of Highway 99 north of Pemberton. Drive BC, the provincial travel information site, says the highway is closed in both directions between Rancheree Road and Seton Lake Road for more than 80 kilometres due to the slide.

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire
Alberta's minister of public safety said bus tours of the community that were scheduled to begin Sunday were postponed 24 hours because of the death over the weekend of a firefighter in Jasper National Park. Mike Ellis said in a social media post that the decision was made out of respect for the family, crew and all those impacted by the tragedy.

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire