Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 05:29 PM
  • B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

A Realtor charged with interfering with British Columbia wildfire-fighting operations in 2023 says he made a mistake by launching a drone on Okanagan Lake to get a photo of a burnt-out hotel.

But Derek Leippi of Kelowna, B.C., says he was unaware firefighters were still at work in the area, 10 days after the McDougall Creek wildfire caused widespread devastation and destroyed hundreds of homes. 

Court records say the alleged offence occurred on Aug. 27, 2023, when Leippi says he was on his boat and launched his drone to get a photo of the destroyed hotel.

He says he didn't know that fire suppression activities were still occurring, and he reined in his "pocket drone" as soon as he was instructed by police. 

Leippi says he didn't intend to interfere with firefighting efforts, and co-operated by giving a statement afterwards.

He says he hopes to resolve the charge, but he's yet to speak to Crown prosecutors or to retain a lawyer. 

"It was a stupid thing to do, you know, to even try to launch a drone … even if it was almost two weeks after the fires," he said in an interview. "I guess they still were trying to snuff out some certain spots that were in the area."

He said he wasn't trying to film any active wildfires or intentionally interfere with wildfire operations. 

"It was a mistake for sure, absolutely a mistake," he said. 

Leippi is due back in B.C. provincial court in Kelowna on Feb. 11.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia has dropped again to about 400 after another day of favourable weather. The BC Wildfire Service says the fire risk has decreased on the heels of cooler temperatures and rain in many regions following a prolonged dry spell and heat wave that drove numbers beyond 430 earlier this week.

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn

Homicide in Maple Ridge

Homicide in Maple Ridge
The R-C-M-P are investigating a 58-year-old women's death as a homicide after responding to reports of an injured woman in Maple Ridge over the weekend. Mounties say they responded to the report on Sunday afternoon and located a woman suffering from serious injuries who was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Homicide in Maple Ridge

BC Auditor General retiring in Fall

BC Auditor General retiring in Fall
B-C Auditor General Michael A. Pickup is retiring in November after four years in the role. He made the announcement today and thanked everyone who has supported and worked with him during his time in the province.

BC Auditor General retiring in Fall

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative
The British Columbia couple whose remains recently washed ashore on Nova Scotia's remote Sable Island have been identified as 70-year-old James Brett Clibbery and his 54-year-old wife, Sarah Packwood. Clibbery’s sister, Lynda Spielman, said Tuesday the RCMP had confirmed their identities.

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation
The Town of Golden confirmed Thursday that the fire burning south of the community had destroyed "several structures," but it did not provide specifics. It said in a social media post that the 1.33-square-kilometre blaze, known as the Dogtooth Forest Service Road fire, had spread north, but rain and a northern wind are expected to help the fire fight.

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses
The B.C. government says wineries can import grapes and juice to make their 2024 vintages after "devastating" losses this winter.  The province says allowing winemakers to import grapes from outside B.C. is a "temporary measure" to prop-up hundreds of wineries and thousands of jobs after freezing weather wiped out this year's harvest. 

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses