Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 10:18 AM
  • B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

Some residents of one of the regions most devastated by wildfires in British Columbia will be touring the burned-out site today.

The Columbia Shuswap Regional District says in a statement that "some areas of the community have changed dramatically" after the Bush Creek East wildfire swept through, destroying or damaging as many as 200 homes.

It says the district is conducting the tour to give a clear picture of the damage and hazards in that area to help residents prepare for their return.

The media will get a similar tour a few hours after residents have looked over their homes.

After weeks of evacuation orders and alerts because of the wildfire, the district has outlined a plan for a staged re-entry process starting today.

Derek Sutherland, the director of the district’s emergency operations centre, says the fire zone is still dangerous because of the significant damage and no one should enter burned buildings or forests, while water in the area should not be consumed.

MORE National ARTICLES

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims
The suspect was arrested shortly after noon near Hwy 1 on the Clearbook Rd exit in Abbotsford.  The two victims were transported by ambulance to a local area hospital. Both have non-life threatening injuries.

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie
Jongwon Ham appeared virtually in court on Wednesday after a significant delay wearing a red shirt, a beard and his black hair reached past his shoulders. Ham was ordered remanded until Nov. 24 while he worked on getting a lawyer. The 37-year-old has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of RCMP Const. Shaelyn Yang.

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie

Vancouver Police investigates after security guard threatened with knife

Vancouver Police investigates after security guard threatened with knife
The incident happened on October 27 at around 7:30 p.m., after security for Hotel Georgia asked the suspect, who was loitering in the breezeway of the hotel, to leave the area. The suspect pulled a knife from his jacket and approached the security guard.

Vancouver Police investigates after security guard threatened with knife

B.C. woman's remains found 32 years after death

B.C. woman's remains found 32 years after death
RCMP say the human remains were discovered last month in Connaught Hill Park. Police say with the help of the BC Coroners Service, it was able to identify the remains as those of Donna Charlie, who was killed in 1990.

B.C. woman's remains found 32 years after death

Surrey man charged in connection to uttering threats to an American journalist

Surrey man charged in connection to uttering threats to an American journalist
On November 10, 2022, 38 year-old Nicholas Sullivan was charged with five counts of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm through social media. He is scheduled to appear in court later this month.

Surrey man charged in connection to uttering threats to an American journalist

Xi confronts and warns Trudeau over media briefing

Xi confronts and warns Trudeau over media briefing
"Everything we discuss has been leaked to the paper; that's not appropriate," Xi told Trudeau through an interpreter who was with Xi when the pair met at an event during the G20 summit.

Xi confronts and warns Trudeau over media briefing