Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

Darpan News Desk IANS, 09 Dec, 2022 04:22 PM
  • B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

VANCOUVER - The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control says a deadly spike in acute respiratory illness is showing signs of stabilizing, after the flu-related deaths of at least six children and youth this season.

The centre says in a new update that influenza A was the most detected virus in B.C. last week, while wastewater tests indicate a slow increase in COVID-19 infections.

It says B.C. is experiencing an unusual season for respiratory illnesses with "unusual characteristics," including an intense early surge in cases and the flu-related deaths of children and youth.

The centre says enhanced surveillance has been introduced as a result, which includes the reporting of influenza-related deaths of children and youth.

It says although test positivity remains high for both influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, the numbers have levelled off in the past week.

The six young people who died with influenza include one child under five, three aged five to nine, and two youths aged 15 to 19 years.

Friday's update from the CDC comes a day after provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said pediatric flu deaths would be included in the centre's weekly updates.

"Early findings indicate some of the children experienced secondary bacterial infections contributing to severe illness, which can be a complication of influenza," Henry said in a statement.

"It is important to know that death associated with influenza in previously healthy children continues to be rare."

The CDC also reports 17 deaths last week among patients within 30 days of a first positive COVID-19 test, a figure that it says has been declining.

It says there were 539 COVID-19 cases reported and 140 new hospital admissions, including 33 in critical care.

The recent flu deaths among children mark a departure from the average two to three recorded annually among children in the province between 2015 and 2019, data from the BC Coroners Service shows.

MORE National ARTICLES

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey
The police found the 47-year-old man having sustained life-threatening injuries. First responders performed emergency first aid, but the victim did not survive.  IHIT has now taken over the investigation. 

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey
The Canadian Medical Association's national physician health survey, released Thursday, indicates that 53 per cent of respondents reported symptoms of burnout, including emotional exhaustion. The reported burnout rate among doctors was 1.7 times higher than it was in the association's previous survey in 2017.

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium
Apart from this, the mayor announced at the groundbreaking ceremony that he will be building the largest stadium in Canada. "Part of our commitments is that we're going to say as part of our SSC is we are going to build a 60,000 person arena in Surrey“. 

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty
19 year old Mohammed Bouterra, 22 year old Al Rifai, and 21 year old Yahya Zitouni pleaded guilty to theft of motor vehicles, possession of stolen property for the purpose of trafficking and use of computer system with intent to commit an offence. 

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline
British Columbia is experiencing a crisis in access to health care and nearly one million residents do not have a family doctor. The total $118 million in funding is available to about 3,480 family doctors who have their own practices and 1,100 working in walk-in clinics.

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store
New Westminster Police Department rushed to the scene and located someone matching the suspect description a few blocks away. At the time of the arrest, officers located a knife nearby. Since his arrest, 31 year old Christopher Agostino of Surrey has been charged with two counts of robbery. 

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store