Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

Darpan News Desk IANS, 09 Dec, 2022 04:22 PM
  • B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

VANCOUVER - The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control says a deadly spike in acute respiratory illness is showing signs of stabilizing, after the flu-related deaths of at least six children and youth this season.

The centre says in a new update that influenza A was the most detected virus in B.C. last week, while wastewater tests indicate a slow increase in COVID-19 infections.

It says B.C. is experiencing an unusual season for respiratory illnesses with "unusual characteristics," including an intense early surge in cases and the flu-related deaths of children and youth.

The centre says enhanced surveillance has been introduced as a result, which includes the reporting of influenza-related deaths of children and youth.

It says although test positivity remains high for both influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, the numbers have levelled off in the past week.

The six young people who died with influenza include one child under five, three aged five to nine, and two youths aged 15 to 19 years.

Friday's update from the CDC comes a day after provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said pediatric flu deaths would be included in the centre's weekly updates.

"Early findings indicate some of the children experienced secondary bacterial infections contributing to severe illness, which can be a complication of influenza," Henry said in a statement.

"It is important to know that death associated with influenza in previously healthy children continues to be rare."

The CDC also reports 17 deaths last week among patients within 30 days of a first positive COVID-19 test, a figure that it says has been declining.

It says there were 539 COVID-19 cases reported and 140 new hospital admissions, including 33 in critical care.

The recent flu deaths among children mark a departure from the average two to three recorded annually among children in the province between 2015 and 2019, data from the BC Coroners Service shows.

MORE National ARTICLES

UBC president Santa Ono takes post in Michigan

UBC president Santa Ono takes post in Michigan
In remarks accepting his new job, the 59-year-old biologist, researcher and administrator told an audience at the University of Michigan that it was an honour and privilege to serve UBC, the campus he grew up on while his father was a mathematics professor.

UBC president Santa Ono takes post in Michigan

Surrey RCMP need the public's help finding missing senior Gurmit Grewal

Surrey RCMP need the public's help finding missing senior Gurmit Grewal
Gurmit is described as a 86-year-old South Asian man, 5’6” tall, medium build with a long white beard. It is unknown what he was wearing however he usually wears a turban and traditional Indian clothing with a button up shirt. 

Surrey RCMP need the public's help finding missing senior Gurmit Grewal

Where provinces, territories stand on fourth doses

Where provinces, territories stand on fourth doses
Canada's provinces are taking differing approaches to rolling out fourth doses of COVID-19 vaccines. Some are offering the second boosters to all adults in response to the highly contagious BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants of Omicron, while others are keeping access limited for now with an eye to the fall.

Where provinces, territories stand on fourth doses

Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM

Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM
Several premiers, including Ontario's Doug Ford and B.C.'s John Horgan, expressed frustration at the end of their meetings that federal ministers had discussed the health funding issues with the media without sitting down with them.

Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM

Adults sharing personal information through dating sites results in fraudsters sending videos to victims threatening to kill their family

Adults sharing personal information through dating sites results in fraudsters sending videos to victims threatening to kill their family
Three of these reports involved the fraudsters sending videos that appear to show them driving to the victim’s residence with AR-15 style rifles while threatening to kill the victim and their family after the victim shared their home addresses online. The fraudsters follow up by sending the victims graphic photographs of dead bodies while continuing to demand money.

Adults sharing personal information through dating sites results in fraudsters sending videos to victims threatening to kill their family

3 people victim of armed robbery and assault in New Westminster

3 people victim of armed robbery and assault in New Westminster
Police were called to the scene after a group of three people were approached by two people with firearms. One suspect pointed a firearm at one of the victims and struck him in the face before taking the victim’s bag.

3 people victim of armed robbery and assault in New Westminster