Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

Darpan News Desk IANS, 09 Dec, 2022 04:22 PM
  • B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

VANCOUVER - The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control says a deadly spike in acute respiratory illness is showing signs of stabilizing, after the flu-related deaths of at least six children and youth this season.

The centre says in a new update that influenza A was the most detected virus in B.C. last week, while wastewater tests indicate a slow increase in COVID-19 infections.

It says B.C. is experiencing an unusual season for respiratory illnesses with "unusual characteristics," including an intense early surge in cases and the flu-related deaths of children and youth.

The centre says enhanced surveillance has been introduced as a result, which includes the reporting of influenza-related deaths of children and youth.

It says although test positivity remains high for both influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, the numbers have levelled off in the past week.

The six young people who died with influenza include one child under five, three aged five to nine, and two youths aged 15 to 19 years.

Friday's update from the CDC comes a day after provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said pediatric flu deaths would be included in the centre's weekly updates.

"Early findings indicate some of the children experienced secondary bacterial infections contributing to severe illness, which can be a complication of influenza," Henry said in a statement.

"It is important to know that death associated with influenza in previously healthy children continues to be rare."

The CDC also reports 17 deaths last week among patients within 30 days of a first positive COVID-19 test, a figure that it says has been declining.

It says there were 539 COVID-19 cases reported and 140 new hospital admissions, including 33 in critical care.

The recent flu deaths among children mark a departure from the average two to three recorded annually among children in the province between 2015 and 2019, data from the BC Coroners Service shows.

MORE National ARTICLES

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public that 184 Street is closed between 32 Avenue and 40 Avenue following a single vehicle motor vehicle accident that stuck a hydro pole.

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack
Multiple witnesses flagged down police on June 19 around 7 p.m., after a 49-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were approached from behind by the suspect and allegedly slashed while loading their luggage into a taxi near Main and East Hastings streets.

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood
Environment Canada is reporting about six millimetres of rain fell at the Prince George airport Tuesday, but doesn't mention the localized, intense thunderstorm that deluged the city's downtown core, flooding several streets.

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader
Horgan announced last week that he'll resign as leader in the fall after the party holds a leadership convention, saying his second bout with cancer left him with little energy for the job. Kahlon says he's throwing his support for the new leader behind Attorney General David Eby, who has yet to announce if he is running.

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three
Police say witnesses report a black sedan crossed into the path of an oncoming westbound SUV, hitting it head on. The RCMP say the crash killed a 51-year-old Sorrento man, a 67-year old woman and a 60-year-old man, both from Blind Bay.

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout
Twenty-two-year-old Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie of Duncan, B.C., were killed by police in a shootout that left six officers injured outside a Bank of Montreal branch in Saanich on June 28.    

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout