Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2024 04:24 PM
  • B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

British Columbia has finalized regulations to provide a minimum-wage and basic protections for ride-hailing and delivery workers using app-based platforms such as Uber, DoorDash and SkipTheDishes.

The Ministry of Labour says in a statement the regulations that will take effect on Sept. 3 are a first in Canada.

It says the changes are the result of years of engagement with various stakeholders, and they address workers' top concerns, including low and unpredictable pay, tip protection and lack of workers' compensation.

The new rules set the minimum wage for the time a worker is engaged in a job at $20.88 per hour, 20 per cent higher than B.C.'s general minimum wage. 

The province says the rationale for adding the premium is that the minimum wage does not apply to the workers' time spent waiting between assignments.

The rules will also ensure 100 per cent of customers' tips go to the worker and establish a 35- to 45-cent minimum per-kilometre vehicle allowance to help workers cover their expenses, as well as coverage through B.C.'s workers' compensation agency.

The regulations will also require platforms to show workers the locations and estimated pay for a particular job before they accept it, and the companies must provide a reason if a worker is suspended or terminated from their position.

Labour Minister Harry Bains says companies should be providing fairness measures for their app-based workers.

"Everyone working hard to support their families should have basic protections so if they're injured on the job, they won't lose their homes," he says in a statement.

"That is what we are doing with these regulations — providing fair pay and basic protections for these workers."

The B.C. government estimates there are about 11,000 ride-hailing drivers and 35,000 delivery workers in the province.

That's who the rules apply to, the province says, noting they don't apply to other types of gig workers, such as freelance writers, musicians or dog walkers.

The government says it will share the final regulations in the coming days.

The statement issued Wednesday says companies must top up the difference in workers' earnings if they don't meet the new standard for "engaged time." Tips are not included in the minimum earnings calculation, it adds.

The province says the companies operating the ride-hailing and delivery platforms will be responsible for registering for coverage with WorkSafeBC and paying premiums, as well as reporting injuries and investigating significant incidents.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade responded to the announcement with a statement saying they're concerned the changes will "impose additional burdens and reduce flexibility" for businesses operating in the province. 

"Companies in B.C. already contend with some of the highest costs and strictest regulatory and tax environments in North America," Bridgitte Anderson says.

Still, she says guaranteeing a minimum wage is a "positive" measure.

"We will continue to advocate for a balanced approach that safeguards workers while preserving the flexibility, independence and supplementary income opportunities inherent in gig work," her statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

3 teens allegedly assaulted on a bus: Nanaimo RCMP

3 teens allegedly assaulted on a bus: Nanaimo RCMP
The Nanaimo R-C-M-P have released a photo as they seek help identifying a man who allegedly assaulted three teens on a bus late last month. Mounties say R-D-N Transit reported that there was an interaction between the man and the teens ranging in age from 13 to 16.  

3 teens allegedly assaulted on a bus: Nanaimo RCMP

Ongoing cases of online sexual extortions in North Vancouver

Ongoing cases of online sexual extortions in North Vancouver
Police in North Vancouver are warning residents of ongoing cases of online sexual extortions targeting youth in the area. Mounties say scammers are targeting males by creating fake female online profiles, luring the victims into performing sexual acts on camera.

Ongoing cases of online sexual extortions in North Vancouver

Critical health violations found in kitchen used by daycares after E. coli outbreak

Critical health violations found in kitchen used by daycares after E. coli outbreak
There have been 264 lab-confirmed cases of the bacterial infection since the outbreak at 11 daycares was declared on Sept. 4. Twenty-five patients are in hospital, 22 of whom have hemolytic uremic syndrome, a complication affecting the blood and kidneys. Six patients are on dialysis at Alberta Children's Hospital.

Critical health violations found in kitchen used by daycares after E. coli outbreak

Illicit drug "superlab" bust in Lumby

Illicit drug
R-C-M-P say they have wrapped up a case that shutdown an illicit drug "superlab" producing huge quantities of methamphetamine and fentanyl in the north Okanagan community of Lumby. In all, six people were convicted of running the lab which Seyed says was capable of producing millions of doses of potentially lethal fentanyl.  

Illicit drug "superlab" bust in Lumby

No charges for Vancouver cop: IIO

No charges for Vancouver cop: IIO
A Vancouver police officer will not be charged for subduing a man who was vandalizing cars, threatening people and damaging property in the city's West End in July 2021. The man suffered cuts to his face and head as well as a broken arm when he was confronted by two officers after numerous people called 9-1-1 to report a person was waving a tree branch and using it to damage cars and threaten other pedestrians.

No charges for Vancouver cop: IIO

House peppered with bullets: Richmond RCMP

House peppered with bullets: Richmond RCMP
Mounties in Richmond are investigating separate, late-night shootings that have left a house, vehicle and garage peppered with bullets. A statement from R-C-M-P says the first shooting in the 6300 block of Chelmsford Street happened more than two weeks ago, on August 27th, and the second occurred on August 29th.

House peppered with bullets: Richmond RCMP