Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2024 04:24 PM
  • B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

British Columbia has finalized regulations to provide a minimum-wage and basic protections for ride-hailing and delivery workers using app-based platforms such as Uber, DoorDash and SkipTheDishes.

The Ministry of Labour says in a statement the regulations that will take effect on Sept. 3 are a first in Canada.

It says the changes are the result of years of engagement with various stakeholders, and they address workers' top concerns, including low and unpredictable pay, tip protection and lack of workers' compensation.

The new rules set the minimum wage for the time a worker is engaged in a job at $20.88 per hour, 20 per cent higher than B.C.'s general minimum wage. 

The province says the rationale for adding the premium is that the minimum wage does not apply to the workers' time spent waiting between assignments.

The rules will also ensure 100 per cent of customers' tips go to the worker and establish a 35- to 45-cent minimum per-kilometre vehicle allowance to help workers cover their expenses, as well as coverage through B.C.'s workers' compensation agency.

The regulations will also require platforms to show workers the locations and estimated pay for a particular job before they accept it, and the companies must provide a reason if a worker is suspended or terminated from their position.

Labour Minister Harry Bains says companies should be providing fairness measures for their app-based workers.

"Everyone working hard to support their families should have basic protections so if they're injured on the job, they won't lose their homes," he says in a statement.

"That is what we are doing with these regulations — providing fair pay and basic protections for these workers."

The B.C. government estimates there are about 11,000 ride-hailing drivers and 35,000 delivery workers in the province.

That's who the rules apply to, the province says, noting they don't apply to other types of gig workers, such as freelance writers, musicians or dog walkers.

The government says it will share the final regulations in the coming days.

The statement issued Wednesday says companies must top up the difference in workers' earnings if they don't meet the new standard for "engaged time." Tips are not included in the minimum earnings calculation, it adds.

The province says the companies operating the ride-hailing and delivery platforms will be responsible for registering for coverage with WorkSafeBC and paying premiums, as well as reporting injuries and investigating significant incidents.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade responded to the announcement with a statement saying they're concerned the changes will "impose additional burdens and reduce flexibility" for businesses operating in the province. 

"Companies in B.C. already contend with some of the highest costs and strictest regulatory and tax environments in North America," Bridgitte Anderson says.

Still, she says guaranteeing a minimum wage is a "positive" measure.

"We will continue to advocate for a balanced approach that safeguards workers while preserving the flexibility, independence and supplementary income opportunities inherent in gig work," her statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program
The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan. The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district
The Surrey School District says in a statement that it cancelled the rental of Tamanawis Secondary School for the Sept. 10 referendum because promotional posters featured a picture of the school alongside what it called "images of a weapon."  

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district
Some residents of one of the regions most devastated by wildfires in British Columbia will be touring the burned-out site today. The Columbia Shuswap Regional District says in a statement that "some areas of the community have changed dramatically" after the Bush Creek East wildfire swept through, destroying or damaging as many as 200 homes.

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region
The partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is considered a symbolic gesture that reflects Canada's expanded presence in the Indo-Pacific region. Trudeau, in a speech to ASEAN leaders Wednesday, said it shows the progress being made on a free-trade agreement between Canada and the 10-nation bloc.

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open
The Bank of Canada held its key interest rate steady at five percent on Wednesday, deciding against another rate hike as the economy begins to falter. Inflation is expected to continue oscillating around three percent for months to come.   

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open

Break & Enter in Vancouver home

Break & Enter in Vancouver home
Two people have been charged after a home invasion where police say the suspects may have either targeted the wrong home or were looking for someone who wasn’t there. Vancouver police say an 89-year-old grandmother was injured and nine teens left badly shaken, after two people forced their way into a home shortly before midnight on August 24th.

Break & Enter in Vancouver home