Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. teen with avian flu discharged after weeks in hospital

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jan, 2025 05:20 PM
  • B.C. teen with avian flu discharged after weeks in hospital

BC Children’s Hospital says a 13-year-old girl with avian flu was discharged Tuesday after weeks in hospital.

The patient was taken to a pediatric intensive care unit with respiratory failure and pneumonia on Nov. 8 and health officials said she tested positive for H5N1 a day later.

A recent medical journal chronicled the teen's hospitalization in Vancouver, which involved tracheal intubation and supplemental oxygen.

Her family says in a statement that the experience has been “life-changing” and that they are grateful to have their daughter home.

They are asking for privacy as they “heal and rebuild” their lives after the traumatic experience. 

The teenager, who has a history of mild asthma and an elevated body mass index, was the first human case of H5N1 in Canada. Health officials have said they don’t know how she got infected. 

A provincial health spokesperson said Thursday they typically refrain from releasing information about patients but recognize "there has been an extraordinary amount of attention and interest from across North America" in this case.

A patient in Louisiana hospitalized with a severe case of avian flu died earlier this week.

The BC Centre for Disease Control said it was comparing the genetic features of the local teenager's avian flu case with that of the Louisiana patient.

MORE National ARTICLES

Robbery at a BC liquor store

Robbery at a BC liquor store
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been taken into custody after robbing a liquor store.  R-C-M-P say officers received two reports about a man who seemed to be carrying a firearm showed up on Weisbrod Road close to the Hart Highway and the second report came in suggesting the man robbed a nearby liquor store. 

Robbery at a BC liquor store

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of Kane Carter, who was accused of murdering a gang member and an innocent teenager who was passing by in his parents' vehicle. The jury came back Tuesday saying it was deadlocked after five days of deliberations in Carter's trial.

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting
B.C.'s police watchdog says an officer from the Vancouver Police Department might face charges in a shooting that killed a man two years ago.  A statement from the Independent Investigations Office says officers from the Vancouver Police Department responded to a call from the Patricia Hotel on May 5, 2022.

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill
R-C-M-P are looking for more information as they investigate the sexual assault of an elderly woman that happened in Cobble Hill in July. Mounties say an unknown man entered the elderly women's home in the area of Carlton Drive and assaulted her.

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Witnesses sought in collision

Witnesses sought in collision
Vancouver Police are looking for witnesses following a collision between a cyclist and pedestrian on the afternoon of September 1st. Officers say a 62-year-old was riding a rental bike on Comox Street between Broughton and Nicola just before 1 p.m., when the cyclist collided with a driver who was exiting her parked car. 

Witnesses sought in collision

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks
The British Columbia government says it’s collaborating with the federal government to protect its information systems from cyber attacks. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says in a statement that the new agreement provides the province with access to cyber defence services, which will improve its ability to defend, detect, and respond to cyber threats.

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks