Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. temperatures hit mid-30s, but warm spell won't last

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 May, 2025 11:30 AM
  • B.C. temperatures hit mid-30s, but warm spell won't last

Temperatures in parts of British Columbia have spiked into the mid-30sbut a meteorologist says the warm spell won't last long.

Wednesday's hot spots in B.C. as of 3 p.m. were Ashcroft and Lytton with temperatures around 35 C.

Environment Canada issued a special weather statement for the North Thompson, warning of unseasonably hot temperatures thanks to a ridge of high pressure bringing warm air from the south.

Environment Canada meteorologist Bobby Sekhon says the strong ridge over the B.C. Interior has brought the hottest weather of the year so far.

But Sekhon says temperatures will dip Thursday as an upper trough comes through, bringing clouds and showers to the Lower Mainland.

Sekhon says temperatures on Thursday in Metro Vancouver will fall close to normal for this time of the year.

Temperatures in Vancouver reached 24 C by mid-afternoon on Wednesday, while the mercury neared 30 C in Pitt Meadows, the Fraser Valley and parts of Surrey.

Moving forward, the Lower Mainland can expect typical spring weather, said Sekhon. 

Sekhon said the weather office's official summer forecast will be released at the end of the month, and there's a probability of "above-normal temperatures." 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature
Activists say a silent vigil was held at the B-C Legislature in memory of 16 women killed this year, an event coinciding with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Vigil organizer Vancouver Rape Relief says participants held up signs with the names of the women killed this year, along with a large banner that read "no more femicide."

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet
A statement from the privacy commissioners of both Ontario and British Columbia says their joint report, completed in June 2020, found that LifeLabs "failed to take reasonable steps" to protect clients' data while collecting more personal health information than was "reasonably necessary."

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the country's premiers will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the threat of steep new U.S. tariffs. The meeting will be held virtually at 5 p.m., the Prime Minister's Office said.

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Canada is considering a number of measures at the American border, including additional resources.  This comes after president-elect Donald Trump threatened to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian and Mexican imports unless action is taken to stem the flow of both migrants and illegal drugs crossing the border.

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M
Tourism body Destination Vancouver says Taylor Swift will bring an estimated $157 million economic impact to the city next week with the three final concert dates of the record-breaking Eras Tour. Destination Vancouver says the forecast includes $97 million in direct spending on items including accommodation, food and transport.

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief
Montreal's police chief says it's "impossible" for protest organizers to prevent people bent on violence from infiltrating demonstrations.  Fady Dagher says the organizers of Friday's anti-NATO protest in Montreal bear limited responsibility for the relatively small number of people who smashed windows during the demonstration. 

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief