Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. to phase out enhanced driver's licences

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2021 05:53 PM
  • B.C. to phase out enhanced driver's licences

The British Columbia government says it is phasing out two types of travel identification cards that allowed easier entrance into the United States.

The enhanced driver's licence and enhanced identification card allowed the holder to enter the United States through land crossings or marine ports without needing to present a valid passport.

The documents can't be used for air travel and haven't been available since last March when the Insurance Corporation of B.C., which manages the program, curtailed numerous services as the COVID-19 pandemic arrived.

A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General says the cards are being discontinued because other travel documents are more cost effective, remain valid longer and cover air travel.

The ministry points to Canada's simplified passport application process and 10-year passport option as well as the growing popularity of the NEXUS expedited border control card which covers all methods of entry into the United States.

B.C.'s enhanced licences and ID cards will be phased out over the next five years ending in September 2025, matching similar phase outs in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba where the cards were offered by those governments.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP boss responds to long-awaited watchdog report

RCMP boss responds to long-awaited watchdog report
Paul Champ, lawyer for the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association, received a letter Friday from Lucki confirming her response to the commission.

RCMP boss responds to long-awaited watchdog report

Canadian Forces to apologize for sexual misconduct

Canadian Forces to apologize for sexual misconduct
The apology is part of a $900-million settlement agreement that the federal government reached with current and former military members, as well as civilian Defence Department employees, last year after a class-action lawsuit against the Forces.

Canadian Forces to apologize for sexual misconduct

Conservative MP Peter Kent won't run again

Conservative MP Peter Kent won't run again
Another is Progressive Conservative MPP Gila Martow, who has represented the Toronto riding in the Ontario legislature since 2014.

Conservative MP Peter Kent won't run again

Federal rent subsidy opens for businesses today

Federal rent subsidy opens for businesses today
The new Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy replaces an earlier rent-support program for businesses introduced in the spring that saw little pickup because it relied on landlords to apply for help.

Federal rent subsidy opens for businesses today

WATCH: The Canadian Sikh COVID Task Force has been formed to create more awareness about the COVID19 pandemic

WATCH: The Canadian Sikh COVID Task Force has been formed to create more awareness about the COVID19 pandemic
What is The Canadian Sikh COVID Task Force? South Asians are found to be more prone to #covid19 due to many of us employed in the front line. DARPAN Magazine's social media host Ish Sharma spoke to Dr.Navdeep Grewal and Dr.Madhu Jawanda who are both doctors in the Fraser Health Region regarding The Canadian Sikh COVID TaskForce.

WATCH: The Canadian Sikh COVID Task Force has been formed to create more awareness about the COVID19 pandemic

Border officer denies RCMP asked for Meng's codes

Border officer denies RCMP asked for Meng's codes
Sowmith Katragadda told an evidence-gathering hearing in Meng's B.C. Supreme Court extradition case he couldn't recall where the idea came from.

Border officer denies RCMP asked for Meng's codes