Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. to start vaccination program next week

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Dec, 2020 02:05 AM
  • B.C. to start vaccination program next week

British Columbia has recorded 566 new cases of COVID-19, which the provincial health officer and health minister say is the "start of encouraging trends" in the progression of the virus.

However, Dr. Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix say the number of new cases and hospitalizations due to serious illness are still high, requiring health orders and restrictions to stay in place.

They say 352 people with the illness are being treated in hospital, with 74 of them in intensive care.

Sixteen more people have died, for a total of 543 fatalities in the province.

Premier John Horgan says on Twitter that about 4,000 high-risk people in B.C. will be immunized by the end of next week.

Henry is set to provide details of B.C.'s vaccine rollout plan on Wednesday.

"Let's make the coming weeks our 'winter break' by breaking the chain of transmission in our province. We can still be festive and enjoy the season, but let's ensure it is only with our immediate household or, if you live on your own, with one or two close contacts," Henry and Dix say in a joint statement.

The province also formally extended its provincial state of emergency until Dec. 22, allowing health and emergency management officials to continue to use extraordinary powers under the Emergency Program Act to support B.C.'s COVID-19 pandemic response.

Public Safety Minster Mike Farnworth says that while most people continue to follow provincial orders, the government will not hesitate to take further action against those who put the lives of others at risk.

"The orders are in place to keep people safe, and we will use those legal tools when necessary to ensure public safety," he says in a news release.

The ministry says 36 tickets for $2,300 have been issued to owners or organizers contravening Henry's order on gatherings and events. It says 16 tickets for that amount have been handed out to those in violation of an order pertaining to premises serving food and alcohol.

Another 142 people have received tickets for $230 fines for refusing to comply with directions from police officers.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP in Merritt destroy pot plants

RCMP in Merritt destroy pot plants
Officers returned with a search warrant last Friday and destroyed the plants along with a quantity of dried and processed marijuana.

RCMP in Merritt destroy pot plants

Liberals' new aid bill faces calls for changes

Liberals' new aid bill faces calls for changes
The Liberals tabled a bill Monday that would extend the federal wage subsidy and stop a previously planned slide in the value of payments.

Liberals' new aid bill faces calls for changes

Tam unveils new face mask recommendations

Tam unveils new face mask recommendations
Face masks should comprise two layers of tightly woven fabric such as cotton or linen, plus a third layer of a "filter-type fabric" such as polypropylene, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Tam unveils new face mask recommendations

Court tells ICBC to keep acid-damaged vehicles

Court tells ICBC to keep acid-damaged vehicles
ICBC has accused Tech Metals Ltd., International Raw Materials Ltd., Westcan Bulk Transport Ltd. and others of twice spilling sulphuric acid along a highway near Trial, B.C., in April and May 2018.

Court tells ICBC to keep acid-damaged vehicles

New Westminster Police need the public's assistance in locating 36 year old man

New Westminster Police need the public's assistance in locating 36 year old man
New Westminster police need your help in locating missing 36 year old man  Christopher McAllister, last seen on Oct. 21 from the Sapperton area of NewWest.

New Westminster Police need the public's assistance in locating 36 year old man

Legault says Macron thanked him for rights stance

Legault says Macron thanked him for rights stance
Legault said he and Emmanuel Macron spoke in a phone call this morning that touched on the recent terrorist attacks in France that authorities have attributed to Islamic extremists.

Legault says Macron thanked him for rights stance