Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Tourism Industry Taking A Significant Hit Due To Wildfires

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2017 11:58 AM
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — British Columbia's tourism industry is taking a hit with businesses reporting rising cancellations and decreased traffic over fears of wildfires.
     
    Maya Lange with Destinations BC, the province's tourism planning and marketing corporation, said Wednesday preliminary results from a survey of businesses in the Kootenay-Rockies region found that 32 per cent are anticipating losses due to perceptions of the fires.
     
    "We are very concerned. Just looking at the volume of visitation and the volume of trips that are taken by British Columbian and Albertan residents alone ... especially in the months of July and August, we think there will be a significant impact."
     
    She said one business in the region alone reported it has lost $100,000 due to cancellations in July.
     
    The Thompson-Okanagan region has been hardest hit by wildfires and Lange said 47 per cent of businesses in the area are reporting some sort of interruption this summer, such as cancellations or road closures.
     
    Barkerville Historic Town and Park, a provincially operated attraction, has also reported a 54 per cent decline in visits comparing July 7 to Aug. 21 this year to last year, which caused a 50 per cent drop in net revenue.
     
    "If Barkerville is down, the surrounding privately owned businesses that provide accommodations, hospitality, food and other activities will also be down and those impacts will be much harder on those private entities," Lange said.
     
    Businesses are encouraged to contact their customers and reassure them it is still safe to travel in an effort to avoid cancellations. Lange said businesses are also being told to share photos of their sites on social media so people can see the region is safe and accessible.
     
    Lange said Destinations BC has a marketing campaign underway to better inform travellers that most of the province remains safe to explore but it's expected that losses to the industry will be significant once the total numbers for the season are calculated.
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said there have been 1,154 fires sparked since April 1 burning more than 10,600 square kilometres of land, and there is no sign of fire activity slowing down soon.
     
    Although a 1,750-square-kilometre fire in the Thompson-Nicola region is now 50 per cent contained, fire information officer Ryan Turcot said unstable weather conditions bringing gusty winds has caused the blaze to spread.
     
    An evacuation order for an area south of Highway 24, including properties around Watch Lake, Horse Lake and Little Green Lake, was expanded as a result of the blaze.
     
    A wildfire burning south of the border in Washington state has also moved into B.C. toward the community of Newgate, which is about 90 kilometres southeast of Cranbrook.
     
    The fire was about 650 hectares in size on the U.S. side of the border and had spread to about 30 hectares in B.C. on Wednesday. Turcot said the wildfire service was working with its U.S. counterpart to fight the blaze and helicopters from both countries were waterbombing hotspots.
     
    Turcot said there is no rain in the forecast for the central and southern Interior over the next week to bring relief from hot and dry conditions expected this weekend, which poses a greater fire risk.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ontario Man Pleads Guilty In Air Canada Flight Disruption Case

    Ontario Man Pleads Guilty In Air Canada Flight Disruption Case
    Brandon Courneyea's plea in a U.S. court covers one count of interfering with a flight attendant, which has a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to US$250,000.

    Ontario Man Pleads Guilty In Air Canada Flight Disruption Case

    Kevin Johnston, Mississauga Man Behind Anti-Muslim Website, Charged With Hate Crime

    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — A Toronto-area man has been charged with a hate crime after police allege he made a number of statements against the Muslim community online.

    Kevin Johnston, Mississauga Man Behind Anti-Muslim Website, Charged With Hate Crime

    HIV-Positive Regina Man Kenton Desjarlais Gets Nine Year- Sentence For Sexual Assault

    HIV-Positive Regina Man Kenton Desjarlais Gets Nine Year- Sentence For Sexual Assault
    Kenton Desjarlais, who is 26, had earlier pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault. He will also get 334 days credit for time spent in jail before he was sentenced.

    HIV-Positive Regina Man Kenton Desjarlais Gets Nine Year- Sentence For Sexual Assault

    Fatal Stabbing In Chilliwack, B.C., Nets Second-Degree Murder Charges

    Fatal Stabbing In Chilliwack, B.C., Nets Second-Degree Murder Charges
    Two men from Chilliwack, 46-year-old Douglas Presseau and Steven Drage, who was 51, died of their injuries and an unnamed 26-year-old woman was taken to hospital.

    Fatal Stabbing In Chilliwack, B.C., Nets Second-Degree Murder Charges

    John Horgan And Justin Trudeau Discuss Opioids And Wildfires

    John Horgan And Justin Trudeau Discuss Opioids And Wildfires
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier John Horgan met in Ottawa on Tuesday and focused on areas where they agree.

    John Horgan And Justin Trudeau Discuss Opioids And Wildfires

    'Surrey Our New Home' Refugee Strategy Released

    'Surrey Our New Home' Refugee Strategy Released
    Given the unique challenges that refugees face, the Surrey Local Immigration Partnership (LIP) developed a three-year strategy called “Surrey Our New Home”. 

    'Surrey Our New Home' Refugee Strategy Released