Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Wildfire Service Says Some Campfire Bans Could Be Gone By The Weekend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2018 12:56 PM
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — The BC Wildfire Service says cooler, wetter weather in the forecast means some of the campfire bans in effect across British Columbia could be lifted soon.
     
     
    The wildfire service says it is evaluating which bans are still necessary and expects to release more details soon.
     
     
    A tweet posted by the service says campfire bans currently in place for the Prince George, Cariboo and Kamloops fire centres will likely be rescinded before this weekend, while bans in other parts of the province could be partially lifted. 
     
     
    Currently, open fires and campfires are banned in all six of B.C.'s fire centres, although fires no larger than a half-metre by a half-metre have been permitted in the Fort Nelson and Peace forest districts since late last month.
     
     
    The fire danger rating in B.C. has fallen significantly in recent weeks, but the wildfire service still shows much of Vancouver Island, the inner south coast, Kitimat and Bulkley-Nechako regions remain at a high to extreme risk. 
     
     
    Just over 2,000 wildfires have been sparked across B.C. since Apr. 1, charring more than 13,000 square kilometres of timber, and 34 fires of note are still burning, although the wildfire service says one of the largest, just north of Fraser Lake, is not likely to spread more.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Justin Trudeau Won't Meet With Capt Amarinder Singh Behind Sikh Separatist Controversy

    Justin Trudeau Won't Meet With Capt Amarinder Singh Behind Sikh Separatist Controversy
    Capt was to accompany Trudeau to the temple and a nearby museum.

    Justin Trudeau Won't Meet With Capt Amarinder Singh Behind Sikh Separatist Controversy

    Pattullo Bridge To Be Replaced With Province-Owned $1.4 Billion Bridge

    Pattullo Bridge To Be Replaced With Province-Owned $1.4 Billion Bridge
    Replacing the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will cost $1.37 billion and will be funded solely by the British Columbia government.

    Pattullo Bridge To Be Replaced With Province-Owned $1.4 Billion Bridge

    Vancouver Police Say The City's Sixth Homicide Of 2018 Was A Targeted Shooting

    Vancouver Police Say The City's Sixth Homicide Of 2018 Was A Targeted Shooting
    A 32-year-old Surrey man was found critically injured on a street in the city's Kerrisdale neighbourhood.

    Vancouver Police Say The City's Sixth Homicide Of 2018 Was A Targeted Shooting

    Wheels Up For India: Justin Trudeau Takes Wing On Trade Mission To India, Where Sikh Politics Loom

    Wheels Up For India: Justin Trudeau Takes Wing On Trade Mission To India, Where Sikh Politics Loom
    India is the world's second-largest country by population and one of the world's fastest growing economies -- one that's expected to overtake Great Britain later this year to become the fifth largest in the world.

    Wheels Up For India: Justin Trudeau Takes Wing On Trade Mission To India, Where Sikh Politics Loom

    B.C. Ride-hailing Report Makes 32 Recommendations To Pave Way For Regulations

    B.C. Ride-hailing Report Makes 32 Recommendations To Pave Way For Regulations
    An all-party committee in the British Columbia legislature is unanimous in supporting a provincewide plan for ride-hailing services in the province.  

    B.C. Ride-hailing Report Makes 32 Recommendations To Pave Way For Regulations

    Parole Board Rules Out Overnight Leaves For Balaclava Rapist Larry Takahashi

    Parole Board Rules Out Overnight Leaves For Balaclava Rapist Larry Takahashi
    Larry Takahashi is serving three life sentences for multiple counts of rape, aggravated sexual assault and other attacks on 23 women in the Edmonton area in the 1970s and '80s.

    Parole Board Rules Out Overnight Leaves For Balaclava Rapist Larry Takahashi